Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NXD-435P reports as NXD-430 in Online Tree?

How are we supposed to tell the difference between an NXD-435P (Portrait with 5 external buttons) and an NXD-430 (Landscape no external buttons) by looking at the Online Tree or by doing a *system show* in telnet? The NXD-435P reports back as an NXD-430.

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    You probably need to look at the panel. I think the only difference in the 435 and 430 is which bezel you have. I have an early 430 that has a 435 button board behind a flat face. The capacitive buttons actually work if you touch it right.

The only difference between a PORTRAIT and LANDSCAPE panel is how you have the firmware set, and again, which bezel style you happen to be using at the time. Not that you can't use the wrong direction bezel with good results. The landscape bezel looks better upright than the portrait bezel looks horizontal. The AMX logo will be wrong, but that can come off with a little toothpaste and a rag, using it like rubbing compound.

I find it refreshing that they are flexible. Repurpose one by just replacing the bezel and setting the firmware.

If you are working remotely, it would be an ideal time to have system build documentation of what address unit is where, and how it is configured.
    You could also VNC into one and see its orientation setting. Which might also be reported in TELNET if you connect to the panel.
    I suspect that there is no remote way at all to tell if it has the button bezel, or for that matter, what color the bezel is either.

Documentation is easier.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    How are we supposed to tell the difference between an NXD-435P (Portrait with 5 external buttons) and an NXD-430 (Landscape no external buttons) by looking at the Online Tree or by doing a *system show* in telnet? The NXD-435P reports back as an NXD-430.

The serial number of the device (which you can get if you telnet into the master and do a *show system* or *show device* or via Netlinx code) will tell you what it is.

The numbers before the letter in the serial number is the AMX FG number. For example the device I’m looking at has a serial number of '226215X29B0018',0,0.

FG2262-15 = NXD-435P-WH, White Portrait, 5-Button
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That might tell you what it was when it was shipped, but if it can be re-purposed as simply as changing a bezel, it may not be accurate after-the-fact. Heck, I swap units out like that all the time if I have one go bad in the field and I only have a different type on hand. As long as it fits in the hole ....
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    That might tell you what it was when it was shipped, but if it can be re-purposed as simply as changing a bezel, it may not be accurate after-the-fact. Heck, I swap units out like that all the time if I have one go bad in the field and I only have a different type on hand. As long as it fits in the hole ....

Doh! Color me stupid, Dave. I didn’t realize we can switch the screen orientation through the setup pages. Somebody slap me in the head and tell me to RTFM next time.