Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NI2100 Firmware upgrade query

I'm trying to upgrade my NI2100 to the latest firmware, as it appears that I need it in order to get a particular module to run.
Can anyone clarify what AMX means by this statement on the Firmware download page?

Prerequisites:

•Requires master firmware 3.60.447 or later. If this NI-device firmware is loaded on an earlier version of master firmware, the integrated device (5001) will be unavailable until the master side firmware is upgraded to 3.60.447 or later

This statement is vague and I don't know if they mean it's just a waiting game, or if I need to do another previous step before running the latest update.

The Netlinx System tree I have shows the Master as having Firmware v3.30.371
and the NI2100 system component with v1.12.140 (see attached pic)

Do I need to update to a particular version of the netlinx firmware as an interim step, before I move to the latest version?

Thanks in advance...

Rab

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    There are two devices in the Netlinx, the MASTER and the NI-DEVICE (I/O) controllers.
    Look at your NetLinx Tree. Note that you have at the top, address 0000, the NI MASTER with Firmware 3.30.371.
    Further down, you have NI-2100 at address 5001 which is the IO or NI-DEVICE controller, with Firmware 1.12.140

They are separate items; the Master is the brain, and the Device/IO controller labeled NI-2100 (so named because it is what distinguishes your box, 3 serial, 4 IR, etc) controls the device ports on the back of the box. The Device/IO controller exists as an item on your tree of devices.

The instructions you refer to are for the DEVICE side, and they are telling as clearly as AMX ever tells anything, that the version you are looking at is dependent on the MASTER firmware level to operate.

Since the instructions say you must have MASTER firmware of 3.60.447 or higher, and that's newer than your 3.30.371, the DEVICE firmware you are looking at will NOT WORK. So if you think you need to update your DEVICE firmware, you need to first update your MASTER firmware, then your DEVICE firmware. Both are online at the AMX site.

Understanding this MASTER/DEVICE concept is important to your success in using AMX hardware.
  • Options
    Rabbie13Rabbie13 Posts: 16
    Thanks John, that did make things clearer.
    What AMX are really trying to highlight here is the inter-dependency between the two firmware versions that are involved. I get that now after your explanation.

I updated the Master before I updated the Device (which makes sense anyway) and now my Module is working.

Thx Again
  • Options
    Loading the new firmware. Trying to load the (5001) and I keep getting a message "Transfer Aborted-Firmware ID is Invalid" any cues?
    THX
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Loading the new firmware. Trying to load the (5001) and I keep getting a message "Transfer Aborted-Firmware ID is Invalid" any cues?
    THX
    Are you sending the DEV firmware to 5001 or the master firmware. DEV firmware goes to 5001:1:0 (normally) and the master firmware goes to 0:1:0.
  • Options
    THX I got it.