Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Ni-3000 Non-Responsive After Firmware Upgrade

To get our old systems on RMS we need to upgrade the firmware. We did this to one of our NI-3100s and it's not been the same since. The Input, Output, and Status lights are solid and there's no connecting to it on the network; if it weren't for the lights you would think it was totally dead. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Have you tried to re-upload the firmware? Also, what FW version did you come from before. There are some notes in the FW version that might have siad you needed to allow the master to come up and wait. It needs to do a second reboot on its own. If you got in front of that second reboot you might have accicidentally bricked it.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've bricked a master doing a firmware update from time to time, but it's exceedingly rare. Sometimes it's indicative of a bad CF card, and you just happened to write to the bad part. Sometimes it's just that last reboot that killed the CF and it would have happened eventually anyway ... just your bad luck it was during an update.
  • Options
    joseaniojoseanio Posts: 42
    To get our old systems on RMS we need to upgrade the firmware. We did this to one of our NI-3100s and it's not been the same since. The Input, Output, and Status lights are solid and there's no connecting to it on the network; if it weren't for the lights you would think it was totally dead. Any ideas?

Let me know if you want a CF Image.

I can send to you by email.

joseanio@jpghh.com.br
  • Options
    I'm afraid that I don't know what a CF image is.
  • Options
    joseaniojoseanio Posts: 42
    I'm afraid that I don't know what a CF image is.

CF image is a backup file from all of files and structure from the card flash. With this backup you can pick up the card flash form his socket inside the NI3000, Put this card on a USB card reader connected to your desktop or notebook , restore the backup to the card flash or a new one, put again on the socket inside the ni3000.
    NI300 will boot again, you can connect ni3000 from the netlinx Studio and do a firmware update ....
    something like this.

I have NI3000 CF image done with Norton Gost 11

Joseanio
  • Options
    I can't believe I've never heard of that! Sure, send it to me. I'll send you my address. Much thanks.
  • Options
    Wow, it's really that simple? I have another unit that I took out of a room because it's ports died - I could just switch CF cards with that one. I learn this stuff, someday...
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Wow, it's really that simple? I have another unit that I took out of a room because it's ports died - I could just switch CF cards with that one. I learn this stuff, someday...

Of course it's not quite *that* simple. You can try just switching the cards, but a portion of the boot code is in persistent RAM and not on the CF, and some combinations of firmwares won't work with each other ... so if your RAM firmware level is too far off from the CF firmware level, it still might not boot. But it's worth a try. Also, because of this mismatch potential, I think it's a good idea to reload the most current firmware once you have it up and running anyway, just to make sure all the components are on the same firmware.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'm curious - what firmware version were you trying to upgrade to?
  • Options
    Do you have access to the console via the program port?
  • Options
    amclainamclain Posts: 41
    For what it’s worth, I’ve successfully diagnosed bad flash using the Linux command badblocks. It saved us from having to send back an MVP-8400 for repair. I’ve also had good luck imaging flash cards using the dd command. Having to order a replacement flash card from AMX isn’t exactly cheap.
  • Options
    Sorry for leaving this for so long.

I cannot access the controller in any way, at all. It's like it's not there.

I haven't been able to try a different CF card because we don't have one like I thought we did.

I appreciate all of your help. I'll keep trying.
  • Options
    In case anyone's still keeping up with this, I finally had the opportunity to replace the CF card with a healthy one from another unit (same model). No good. I must assume the problem is in the mainboard and not the flash memory. Crap.