Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Hex Value Madness

Guys

I've got myself stuck with a hex string return from a piece of broadcast kit.
It sends back the elapsed time in HEX, but the values it sends actually represent DECIMAL values

For example.....

Line 330 (12:32:58):: String From [5001:7:1]-[$74$00$49$46$01$00$04]

The actual time is 00h(char 6),01m(char 5),46s(char 4). Note the 46 - not 70 (ie decimal $46)

The only way I can think of presenting each char as 2 digit ascii text for my panels is ...

FORMAT('%02d',ATOI(ITOHEX(cData[4]))) - which seems a bit convoluted to say the least!

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I haven't seen any daylight for 48 hours and I think it's affecting me a bit!

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    Looks right to me... assuming it works, what's the problem? Just make sure you comment it with the expected input format so the next guy (possibly yourself 6 months later) doesn't say "that can't possibly work, I'll fix it"
  • Options
    sling100 wrote: »
    Guys

It sends back the elapsed time in HEX, but the values it sends actually represent DECIMAL values

For example.....

The actual time is 00h(char 6),01m(char 5),46s(char 4). Note the 46 - not 70 (ie decimal $46)

The only way I can think of presenting each char as 2 digit ascii text for my panels is ...

FORMAT('%02d',ATOI(ITOHEX(cData[4]))) - which seems a bit convoluted to say the least!

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I haven't seen any daylight for 48 hours and I think it's affecting me a bit!

Thanks

Simon

This looks to be Binary Coded Decimal, which is actually pretty easy to deal with. See this thread for more information. Basically, you can take the character $46, which has the equivalent integer value of 70 (16 * 4 + 6) and do a modulo operation with 16 to get the ones place, then you can divide the same number by 16 and multiply by 10 to get the ones place.
    Define_function integer fnDecodeBCD(char bcd){
         return (bcd/16 * 10) + (bcd % 16)
    }

define_function char fnEncodeBCD(int bcd){
         return (bcd/10 * 16) + (bcd % 10)

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    sling100 wrote: »
    Guys

For example.....

Thanks

Simon

How about this?

FORMAT('%02X', cData[4])

--D
  • Options
    sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    Thanks chaps.

My method does work, it just looks a mess - Andrew's BCD function would make it look a lot cleaner for sure.

Dchristo - not sure that would work? Won't that return a hex value? Or maybe that's what I want .... Hmm.

I'm off to have another try!

S