Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Sharp LED TVs Crashing

Is anyone else having problems with Sharp LED TVs crashing/locking up on start-up? We just purchased north of 40 LC-42LE540Us for a job and every one we've installed so far has experienced an intermittent failure to come on from a powered off state. The green power LED will come on but the display will never wake up and the TV won't respond to commands from any control source including it's own hard buttons. At first we suspected the RS232 control was contributing to the lockups but the TV will fail with no video or control sources connected. They do seem to fail more frequently under RS-232 control from the DUET module . . . probably twice as quickly as they do via a simple 'POWRx' command. It takes the longest to crash them using their remote control or their buttons but they will crash after a while. Also troubling, they all belch a bunch of random junk out of the RS-232 port when powered up . . . the content is different every time and looks like garbage/EMI to me. Disconnecting the unit from power for about thirty-seconds will bring it back to a normal operating state. We've tested these displays with several different Netlinx controllers, super short cabling, etc. and are having this problem at two different facilities.

We've used various Sharp LCD/LED TVs for quite a while now and have had great results with them . . . we'll be calling Sharp on Monday but I'm curious if anyone here has had similar problems and somehow overcome them.

Comments

• BigsquatchBigsquatch Posts: 216
    Complete shot in the dark here but I thought I'd mention a problem I had with a Samsung that a customer bought and had me integrate.

This set would work just fine and then randomly power off in about 10 to 20 minutes repeatedly. The TV had been plugged into a power strip/surge protector. Plugging the TV directly into a wall outlet solved the problem.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Bigsquatch wrote: »
    Complete shot in the dark here but I thought I'd mention a problem I had with a Samsung that a customer bought and had me integrate.

This set would work just fine and then randomly power off in about 10 to 20 minutes repeatedly. The TV had been plugged into a power strip/surge protector. Plugging the TV directly into a wall outlet solved the problem.
    Some manufacturers put their own power conditioning into their devices so if you then put your own power conditioner ahead of it and it's not outputting a pure sine wave then the device's cheap built in power conditoning circuitry doesn't function properly and weird things happen. Some cable modems do this but so far that's all I've noticed.
  • rynandorynando Posts: 68
    Interestingly enough, the manual for that TV lists bad power as a potential cause of the specific problem we're having. These TVs are being connected to electrician-installed dedicated outlets in both buildings however. They're also being run alongside a bunch of preexisting 70" and 80" Sharp TVs which work fine no matter how they're being controlled. I'd hate to think it's a power issue . . . we're hoping that this is something Sharp can address via firmware.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    If you're in a commercial building with allot of fluorescent ligths there could be allot of harmonic distortion on the power lines. The older TVs may be less sensitive. If it is noisy power then maybe power filters conditioners may help. Panamx had somethat could go directly behind each TV, probably still make them.
  • rynandorynando Posts: 68
    Sharp has acknowledged that there's a software problem with these displays. They say they're currently benching a fix and it'll be released soon.