Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

USB thought

Hi everyone
Just a thought I had the other day(I don't get many) but what if you could FTP from an USB stick which would be located on the Netlinx/NI system and have access to it via the TPor user interface to select the files to transfer into the controller. Just think no more having to bring along the laptop, cables etc.

Comments

• Options
    veraviewveraview Posts: 44
    I seem to remember an older handheld AMX programming thingy a few years back...you could put your code on it and carry it with you, then plug it into the rs232 port and off you go!

Thing of it is, unless you get everything exactly right in your code the first time (and I'm sure that always happens ;) ), you better have your laptop handy.

It would be great, however, to send a customer a minor change in functionality or a bug fix on a USB stick they could just plug in without having to navigate their VPN, firewall, etc, over IP.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Hi Veraview
    True about having the program right or you will be making a second trip back. I am sort of lucky because I have nearly 100 multimedia classrooms and once I have the program working and downloaded once everything else is just a copy from there on.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    That was the "Elmo"... I inherited one when I started programming, but since it didn't work with anything after the Axcent2, I've never been able to use it.

As for program loading, wouldn't it be nice if the CF slot (or an additional one) was available externally, like the one on that other control platform? Would come in real handy...

I haven't tried this with a current version of NetLinx firmware, but you >used< to be able to replace the PROG.TKN file in the master programmatically. If you had a client with a NetLinx that could go >out< past their firewall to the internet, you >could< put an "update" button on their TP somewhere that connects to your web server, downloads a new PROG.TKN, copies it into the root directory and reboots.

- Chip
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    'Elmo' that's it. I couldn't remember the name. I haven't tried the other stuff yet so I don't know if it works or not. What got me thinking about a 'quick load' device was earlier this week I had 5 Axcent III's in the same rack and thought how easy it would be just to plug in and download via my USB stick. Also along that same thouht path, I could just give a copy of everything to each of the techs and not have to worry about my laptop taking a dive. Who knows maybe that will be AMX's big release next year, a quick load device. Other advantages would be dealers could speed up their customer service time by having an 'upgraded' program modification ready for pick up by the client who then only has to plug the device into the port.
  • Options
    Actually it was called an "ALF"....but you were close! They both were furry.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Originally posted by jbutler
    Actually it was called an "ALF"....but you were close! They both were furry.

Durn muppets... :)