Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Can I get IR filtering to deal with a plasma TV without using a repeter?

My brother-in-law has a nice plasma TV with a STB that sits beside it. I know that I could get a plasma friendly IR receiver and repeater kit to deal with the noise from the plasma but frankly neither of us think it's worth the $'s especially since he's never going to "hide" the STB.

What he really needs is a simple little filter that he could stick over the receiver on the STB. It seems to me that a plastic lens with the right coating would do the trick. Has anyone ever seen something like that or tried making their own?

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm pretty sure the "plasma friendly" devices use an electronic filter, not optical on the infrared band. They have to kill the noise, not the signal, and it's in the same frequency range. I could be wrong, but I doubt you can do this with a physical filter.
  • Options
    BigsquatchBigsquatch Posts: 216
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the "plasma friendly" devices use an electronic filter, not optical on the infrared band. They have to kill the noise, not the signal, and it's in the same frequency range. I could be wrong, but I doubt you can do this with a physical filter.

I think you're probably right. That would explain why I haven't seen any "home remedies" or cheapo devices to fix the issue. Thanks.
  • Options
    kennethkkennethk Posts: 86
    Curius...

Whats this problem about?
    Is the plasma display "noisy" for IR signals?

Obviosly, i've never experienced this before :/

"wanna learn before experience"!!
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    kennethk wrote: »
    Curius...

Whats this problem about?
    Is the plasma display "noisy" for IR signals?

Obviosly, i've never experienced this before :/

"wanna learn before experience"!!
    Yeah, plasmas and the older LCD tvs that use CFL (compact fluorescant lights) as the light source generate allot of noise, EMI, RFI, IMI types of interferance. So there are plasmas friendly, cfl friendly and standard IR receiving devices. The different friendly devices are designed to electronically filter the noise generated by those specific types of TVs. The CFL receivers usually have a trim pot so you can vary the the filter's center frequency. Fortunately since most new TVs are illuminated by LEDs (LED LCD displays) electronic noise isn't really an issue anymore. Still have to deal with sunlight issues but there are various optical filters for that but IR signal reception is the least of your problems if you put a TV in direct sun light.