Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Aprilaire 8800 and AMX

I read all the messages posted here about the Aprilaire 8800 thermostats and have a few questions:

1) For multiple thermostats you need a distboard and RS-422, right? Distboard 819?
2) Which AMX module are you using to interface with the 8800s?
3) Will the 8825 IP based interface work with the 8800 thermostats?
4) Any comments as far as reliability at this point?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    It pains me to say that they have their issues since I had really good experiences with the older one's. (I still use them at my home)

Some things to make sure...

Make sure ALL the TStats are newer versions and have the newer firmware. I've seen a few instances where the HVAC trade put in some older new stock TStats along with the newer ones. The blows up a system.

Also, yes you do need the distro board.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You need a disty board per 8 thermostats, and each disty powers separately. It has an RS-422 output you can connect directly to the AMX, but I have found that things are much happier if you use the 8811 protocol adapter to convert to RS-232 (only one needed per system, you can gang the disties together before running through the adapter). I've had some systems work just fine without the adapter, and others drop initial characters or randomly lock up. Best to buffer it with their adapter is the view I take on it.