Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Panasonic Plasma IP Control???

Has anyone ever heard of controlling Panasonic plasmas over IP? The one I'm working with has a "Wake on LAN" option in the menus. It got me thinking.

Thanks.

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Well, if the plasma has some sort of iPhone / Android app, you would think it has IP control.

My LG LCD TV has IP control, but it's much of a hassle, and you can't power on the LCD through IP...
  • Have you tried to telnet into it?
  • Pana IP control

Looked into this a while ago. It uses sort of uPNP and SOAP over HTTP. It doesn't comply to a particular standard. Best thing to do is use the PC control app and wireshark to monitor it.

Its probably easier to use discrete IR codes....I'm not a fan of IR but it may be the only feasible way!!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Looked into this a while ago. It uses sort of uPNP and SOAP over HTTP. It doesn't comply to a particular standard. Best thing to do is use the PC control app and wireshark to monitor it.

Its probably easier to use discrete IR codes....I'm not a fan of IR but it may be the only feasible way!!

Having come through the era of projectors being king I tended to try and deal with plasma displays the same way: fairly comprehensive control and two-way communications. But that vine has fairly dried up as manufacturers have gone away from including rs232. However, they really haven't migrated towards IP either in a strict control system sense. They tend to be moving toward http and proprietary apps that connect via some kind of cloud.

Hopefully as TVs get a little more settled on their features ( quietly snickering to myself) they might get 'round to re-tooling the control protocol. Until then, as long as they at least give us some kind of discrete power commands I'll be happy.
  • mritzmritz Posts: 22
    Pana IP control

I have successfully controlled a Panasonic plasma with the PJLink module available @ amx.com - the model of the plasma was TH-65PF30. See more information about the plasma at http://panasonic.net/prodisplays/products/category_standard_pdp.html

The online event is like this:
    DATA_EVENT[vdvPJLink_Display]   //panasonic display TH-65PF30 via pj-link
    {
    	ONLINE:
    	{
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvPJLink_Display,'PROPERTY-IP_Address,192.168.30.112'
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvPJLink_Display,'PROPERTY-Port,4352'
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvPJLink_Display,'PROPERTY-Password,Panasonic'
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvPJLink_Display,'reinit'
    	}
    }

As you might know the PJLink protocol is a standard protocol to have access on basic functions like power on/off, switching the input source etc. Normally projectors have included this protocoll.

I think Panasonic also offers the possibility to send the rs232 codes via a lan connection to control the professional display range devices (and also the professional projectors range). Normally the port they use is 1024. But I did not try this.

Regards