Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Networking stuff your disable?

I have seen threads about disabling the various traffic-generating items in AMX firmware such as zeroconf and UPD BD rate. The last couple of versions seem to have even more traffic items. What else do you disable as a general rule?

I have started doing the following:
static IP/DNS on all devices
in M2M systems, 'ROUTE MODE DIRECT' if possible on masters
NDP DISABLE - to disable the NDP beacon once everything has been addressed and connected via URL on all devices
UDP BC RATE - 0
IPDD DISABLE - to disable the AMX device discovery
ZEROCONF DISABLE - to disable the zero config options

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I don't disable any of those services, not sure why you would want to except in extreme conditions. Is there a bug with the firmware that requires this?
    Paul
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I disable Bonjour on ZigBee radios. Seems to reduce lockups.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The actual impact of disabling these items is somewhere between hypothetical and real.
    Once set up, most of these "helper" protocols add no value, and certainly do litter the ipverse with lots of messaging. Ideally, the added overhead has plenty of room. If you are in a data-challenged environment, any extra messaging you can eliminate potentially helps.

Your mileage will vary widely, and some results will be superstitious. That may be sufficient.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The actual impact of disabling these items is somewhere between hypothetical and real.
    Once set up, most of these "helper" protocols add no value, and certainly do litter the ipverse with lots of messaging. Ideally, the added overhead has plenty of room. If you are in a data-challenged environment, any extra messaging you can eliminate potentially helps.

Your mileage will vary widely, and some results will be superstitious. That may be sufficient.

I agree with John.

My rule of thumb is "if it's not impeding anything, keep it". This is in contrast to my previous rule of thumb which was "if it's not necessary, ditch it". I tended to follow the latter with the assumption that "every little bit helps". While this was often true in the dog days of DOS, one too many times I've caused trouble for myself by changing something that was best left the way it was. Plus, you never know when having that NDP or UDP beacon on might help you find a processor that has inexplicably "vanished"...
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I agree with John.

My rule of thumb is "if it's not impeding anything, keep it". This is in contrast to my previous rule of thumb which was "if it's not necessary, ditch it". I tended to follow the latter with the assumption that "every little bit helps". While this was often true in the dog days of DOS, one too many times I've caused trouble for myself by changing something that was best left the way it was. Plus, you never know when having that NDP or UDP beacon on might help you find a processor that has inexplicably "vanished"...

^^ What he said :)