Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Windows 8

It's that time again - a new version of Windows. Because I like to live on the bleeding edge I've been thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 over the weekend.

I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to test anything use the W8CP, but was curious if anyone's tried it out. I'm thinking about utilizing Hyper-V and install W7 alongside to handle anything that W8 can't. I don't expect there to be much of an issue with software comparability - but just thought I'd ask if anyone's seen any issues.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I won't be upgrading until I have to. I used to grab such things immediately, but I got weary of dealing with incompatibilities and early release bugs.

I'll say this, when I do upgrade I'll be disabling the Metro interface (or whatever they officially call it now). I can't see why they are forcing that on non-tablet users as the default. It's ugly, and reminds me of preschoolers playing with color blocks.
  • Options
    rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I won't be upgrading until I have to. I used to grab such things immediately, but I got weary of dealing with incompatibilities and early release bugs.

I'll say this, when I do upgrade I'll be disabling the Metro interface (or whatever they officially call it now). I can't see why they are forcing that on non-tablet users as the default. It's ugly, and reminds me of preschoolers playing with color blocks.

Last I checked there was no way to disable it.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    rfletcher wrote: »
    Last I checked there was no way to disable it.

I've seen several means to disable it on the Net, but some of those applied to beta and may have gone away. Most use a third party program, but one was a simple registry entry re-enabling Explorer (which is really all there was to the the actual UI). But I'm sure as time passes, more means will be available to customize it. It simply doesn't make sense to me to force a tablet interface on a desktop or laptop computer. Not that MS (or any big software company, Apple included) is required to follow anything like common sense, but at least there is a history of PC modders that are sure to rise to the occasion.