Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

VSS2 - Blu-ray On/Off -HDMI video sync ?

We're working on a design where I need to use a VSS2 connected to Blu-ray player for power on/off logic.
When the HDMI is connected the composite output will be turned off. Will the video sync still be present? I don’t care that the video signal is not available I’m just wanting to see that the sync is present confirming that the unit is powered.

We don't have the hardware yet.

Thanks
Randy Ott

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If the composite out it shut down, there will be no sync. This has been an issue since DVDs when things started using digital outputs; most won't output on both simultaneously.

But I haven't had to use a VSS2 in years. You can find discrete power commands for most of the newer boxes, and if it's not available in IR< it is on either RS-232 or IP control.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    ROO wrote: »
    I don’t care that the video signal is not available I’m just wanting to see that the sync is present confirming that the unit is powered.

Maybe just use the HDMI output for signal presence detection with one of these instead of a VSS2?

http://www.neets.dk/products/control_system/310-0011/index.php

Haven't used them myself but looks like they should do the job. Not sure who distributes them in your part of the world.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Why send power?
    Nearly all the units we've seen lately power themselves off if not used sooner or later, and all of them power on upon actually trying to use them (load a disk, or press any transport).

The "extra wear and wasted power" for extra on time is far less than you imagine, and can't possibly save enough to ever pay for the cost of a a VSS-ish sensor.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I dunno, a BluRay is not so crazy a thing. Most have descrete IR power commands. Rs232 can give you a status. A video sync is just another part to fail. It isn't the end of the world if the client turns the unit on by hand. And client offs can be caught by sending power ons when selecting the source whether you think it's on or off.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I dunno, a BluRay is not so crazy a thing. Most have descrete IR power commands. Rs232 can give you a status. A video sync is just another part to fail. It isn't the end of the world if the client turns the unit on by hand. And client offs can be caught by sending power ons when selecting the source whether you think it's on or off.

I've taken that tack on occasion. If they have to get up and walk over to the thing to put a disc in, it's no big thing to turn it on while they are at it.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    What I was trying to say was that if its off, just pressing the EJECT/opening the drawer to put in a disc turns it on.
    If its off with a disc in it, just pressing PLAY turns it on.
    -Any- attempt to do something to actually use the device in any way also turns it on.
    No separate effort to turn it on is required at all.

Most turn themselves off too. Not many turn off if the DVD/BLU disc is left spinning at the menu, but the energy used/wasted when this occurs even for weeks at a time is really minimal. And the "wear" on the unit is below measurable. It has been argued that the motors nearly never fail, and slight warmth and stability of internal voltages may make the rest of the electronics last longer. And the whole device will be replaced within a few years anyway with today's tech advancements. So it will outlast its use even if left running 24/7.

It can help to remind your customer that the addition of devices to detect and turn off the BluRay have an energy cost of operation as well, not to mention that the detection devices typically cost more than the BluRay itself, plus your labor in installation and maintenance. The total cash and environmental cost of managing the power will be many times that of leaving it to what it already does.