Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Denon AVR-3313CI Control Experience??

Greetings,

Since Yamaha has taken away some of my favorite nuts and bolts of control, it's time to find an alternative.

Has anyone had control experience with the AVR-3313CI from Denon? What I am most interested in is how it deals with list browsing for multiple zone operation.

With the Yamaha, its three zones could each be independently listening to a browsable media source (Net Radio, Pandora, iPod, etc.) The feedback and metadata from each source is delivered discretely per source, allowing all three zones to browse their unique sources simultaneously.

Reading through the Denon protocol, I don't see how it would deliver the browsing data independently per media source. there seems to be only one set of status commands that is applicable to all sources.

Thanks.

Comments

• OK - I've got the AVR-3312CI on my desk right now. (I've been trying to get it integrated into my own system for over a year, but that is another story....)
    I just did an experiment, the main zone is on DVR, and zone 2 is on the HDRadio.
    I get meta data back from the tuner for the HD Radio stuff, but as there is only one tuner there are only one set of commands for it. I guess you have to track where it is being used.

If I set Zone 2 to iRadio (internet radio) I get the meta data back as well from the NSE Command.

If I set the Main zone to HD Radio, I now get the metadata back from that, as well as the NSE data back from the zone 2.

Just like there is only one tuner, there is only 1 NET/USB connection. The tuner treats them the same, and that connection is for all the internet services as well as any network service. SO trying to use an internet radio in one zone and the USB ipod in another zone is not going to work.

If you have teh Denon USB Dock, then there is a separate set of commands for that and I believe you would be able to use that in conjunction with a netwrok based service.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Thanks John. That is exactly what I wanted to find out.

The Yamaha receivers still make great multi-room, browsable media players. It just bothers me that they took away some of the most basic features that make for a good integration experience.
  • Little side note.

The 3312 does connect to Pandora, but when you leave to go a different network based source, you get an Are You Sure page up on the onscreen GUI, but no notification of that out the control ports. I'm doing everything on teh touchpanel with no monitor, so I have to figure out a way to get around that.
    Sounds like a challenge. If you want a better media browsing experience with a receiver, have a look at the Yamahas.

My purpose in working with the receivers is to be able to provide a low-cost, browsing media server for systems that don't step up to an MMS.

I have an appointment with an Onkyo soon to take it around the block.
  • My purpose right now is to get this stupid receiver installed in my home system so I can watch a blu-ray. I've had both the receiver and the blu-ray player since November 2011 and have not had time to re-write the programming of the system to install them...

Oh well, shoemakers children
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Sounds like a challenge. If you want a better media browsing experience with a receiver, have a look at the Yamahas.

My purpose in working with the receivers is to be able to provide a low-cost, browsing media server for systems that don't step up to an MMS.

For $700 you can get a rack mounted Vortexbox capable of 3-5 independant streams at the same time, 3 analog audio outs plus 2 more via usb DACs if you really need 5, could be 3 Pandora, stored music, i-radio, MOG, Spotify, or a few other internet services or any combination of services.

As far as the Denon goes if you're controlling via AMX you know when you're changing sources and on what zone and you can additionally query the source for the main or sub zone so you parse what comes in and you should already know what to do with that info. I wouldn't think the Yamaha does it much differently.
    The Yamaha reports list and metadata per source, regardless of which zone is using a source. Any tracking of what source is in what room is not needed.

@HDRADIO:
    @PANDORA:
    @NETRADIO:

....etc.
    Yeah that's basically the same as Denon. As far as tracking zones thats just a matter of knowing what zone is on what source so you can route your feedback to the correct TP. Assuming you're using line level outs for zone 2/3 as source inputs to a switcher.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470

You won't be impressed with the Onkyo unless they have changed the protocol within the last year or so.
  • mixumixu Posts: 31
    What do you guys think, will there be an AMX module for 3313 soon? I upgraded from 2310 to 3313 and controlling 2310 with my Ni3100 was easy because of the module.

EDIT: actually, the one for 3312 looks almost identical. I will try that.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The Marantz and Denon receivers look to be identical control protocol and web UI -wise. I've spend a lot of time on a Marantz IP module, and will be trying it on a Denon 2313 within the week, but I don't expect it will be any different.
    Pretty much the only thing that changes between the models are a few commands and a few responses so going from a 2313 to 3313 you might have to modify some arrays, surround types, sound modes, source name commands maybe. Going from 2310 to 3310 they're be a few other changes, source types, etc especially the interent stuff and would imaginge the Marantz would have identical equivelent in the Denon line. I guess the Marantz is a step up in SQ so maybe better DACs but who knows it may just be different skins and the internals are identical.
    vining wrote: »
    Pretty much the only thing that changes between the models are a few commands and a few responses so going from a 2313 to 3313 you might have to modify some arrays, surround types, sound modes, source name commands maybe. Going from 2310 to 3310 they're be a few other changes, source types, etc especially the interent stuff and would imaginge the Marantz would have identical equivelent in the Denon line. I guess the Marantz is a step up in SQ so maybe better DACs but who knows it may just be different skins and the internals are identical.

The control protocol is identcal between Marantz and Denon (barring available surround modes), and the web UI is identical. The amps are definitely different, so probably the preamps are too. I've noticed this as well in the disc player lines; they are consolidating the control sections so they are all the same. This is a good thing, IMO. You pick the hardware device based on how it sounds, what you want to spend (though equivalent Denon and Marantz are pretty much the same price), and what features you want, and the control is all interchangeable.
    Their internet streaming boxes use the same protocol as the AVRs too and have IP control as well so if you want just iRadio, Pandoro, Rhapsody, etc there's one model, if you also want one that has a built in CD tray and AM/FM too there' another model. I like seprates so I prefer not using an AVR for distributed internet streams or Radio. The down side is I really prefer MOG which will soon to become BEATs and Spotify but they're not supported yet so I still use the VortexBox.
  • Sounds like a challenge. If you want a better media browsing experience with a receiver, have a look at the Yamahas.

We have been using Denon for years and they are great to control. That said, I almost never use them for media streaming. They are just not that good at it. They are good at being AV receivers.
  • JohnMichnr wrote: »
    My purpose right now is to get this stupid receiver installed in my home system so I can watch a blu-ray. I've had both the receiver and the blu-ray player since November 2011 and have not had time to re-write the programming of the system to install them...

Oh well, shoemakers children

You should hire a professional. I know someone who has Denon code! :-)
    For what it's worth, I just put in a 2313 and used my stock Marantz IP module. It works fine.