Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Debug Port

Hey,

What program do people use to listen to the incoming RS-232 Strings from the debug port during boot sequence?

I have not been able to get any information to pass from a couple of touchpanels and a master. Running a header from the debug to a 232 on pins 2,3 and 5. Connection settings at 115200 8n1...

I natively use Ubuntu but have Windows in a VM so either OS is a viable option for applications.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    You won't get much interesting strings as it's mainly low level debug info from VxWorks on Master or Linux on Modero ! It's just for curiosity mainly ;)
  • Options
    I got it running, the use a crossover part was left out of the instructions I was provided...

I found a substantial amount of the information to be quite useful for what I was looking for... some of it was quite useful and there were other parts that I did not require that I can see how they would be of benefit...
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    jeremyw24 wrote: »
    I found a substantial amount of the information to be quite useful for what I was looking for... some of it was quite useful and there were other parts that I did not require that I can see how they would be of benefit...

Me too!
    Just fixed a non-booting NI-700 by examining the boot errors and then talking to my friend Google about what I found.
    The error at boot was..
    Error: invalid inet address in boot field "10.10.80.23.1".
    Can't load boot file!!
    I then (after talking with my friend) edited the boot parameters and 'voila' a bricked and not worth repairing NI-700 back up and running!
  • Options
    jeremyw24jeremyw24 Posts: 10
    Nice work, Mush!

Since figuring out all the debug port info, I have recovered 3 bricked Touch Panels and a Bricked NI-2100. It actually turns out the information can be very useful!
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Back to the original question, I've tried a lot of terminal programs, but have settled on Indigo Terminal for all my Telnet and RS-232 terminal needs. You have to buy it, but it's cheap enough and well worth it.

http://www.shadeblue.com
  • Options
    jeremyw24jeremyw24 Posts: 10
    I dont mind Indigo Terminal at all, I do have a copy of that. I run Mac Natively so use a neat little program called Zoc which is an all in one 232, Terminal, Telnet program etc. which I have found to be really excellent. For very low level comms in Windows I use ViewPort but mostly Indigo Terminal if its anything larger, but utilmately always prefer to do it in Mac natively.
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Back to the original question
    http://www.shadeblue.com

Yes, good point.

puTTY is my preferred tool.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    To continue the drift.....

I love the fact that you can create libraries in Indigo with descriptions so once you've created a library you can just open it and click on an entry and it's sent to the device. You can also create variable lists that can be inserted into the library entries and then modify the variables and click on a library entry and that entry with the variable is sent. Works great! But sometimes I just have issues with Indigo not connecting and sometime the terminal emulation just doesn't display properly like it does when using PuTty or CLI so I often use Indigo to view my library entries but actually use PuTty for the connection. I've tried various setting changes but still can't figure out why I have these issues with Indigo.