Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Denon RCDN7 IP Control

I just picked up a Denon RCDN7 for a customer today, a simple non AMX type installation, and much to my suprise while playing I discovered it is controllable via IP using the standard telnet port. I think it uses the Denon DNP720 protocol which is basically similar to every Denon AVR protocol less the obvious missing functions.

This device cost $600 has a CD tray, plays internet radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster, has an onboard iPhone/Pad dock but can also use USB connections, AM/FM, has built in wi-fi or you can use wired, it can be connected to an AV system using analog outputs, has a subwoofer out and it has a built in 65w x 2 amp so you can connect speakers directly. It also does AirPlay so you can access iTunes or iPhone over the net and you can source various servers. I can play my WinMedia or my VortexBox, PLEX or any LMS.

An interesting little box, well it's not that little.

I telnetted into it out of curiosity and it started spitting out this crap:
NSE1Favorites                                                                                       
NSE2Internet Radio                                                                                  
NSE3
Media Server                                                                                    
NSE4VAV’s iPod                                                                                    
NSE5Napster                                                                                         
NSE6Pandora                                                                                         
NSE7                                                                                                 
NSE8                         
NSE0Media Server                                                                                    
NSE1
VortexBox media server                                                                          
NSE2Plex Media Server: VortexBoxPlex                                                                
NSE3MACWINDOWS-PC: VAV_WinMedia:                                                                    
NSE4Logitech Media Server [vortexbox]                                                               
NSE5                                                                                                 
NSE6                                                                                                 
NSE7                                                                                                 
NSE8   [    1/4    ]         
NSE0Media Server                                                                                    
NSE1
VortexBox media server                                                                          
NSE2Plex Media Server: VortexBoxPlex                                                                
NSE3MACWINDOWS-PC: VAV_WinMedia:                                                                    
NSE4Logitech Media Server [vortexbox]  
Sent it some basic Denon commands and they worked. I went to the Denon site and found the DNP720 protocol so I figure it's probably the same but with more features since I don't think the 720 has a CD player built in and it doesn't have a dock and I doubt it has a built in amp if you were so inclined to use it instead of connecting to a centralized system.

Comments

• Options
    kholmkholm Posts: 6
    Denon/Marantz

I have the Marantz NA7004 units and it uses the same commands. I wrote a basic module for control and to get feedback one afternoon and use it all the time. The module is not complete and needs some work but it does everything I need it to. The device has a couple draw backs like track status has to be constantly polled and if you poll it to fast it can drop the connection. But it does sound better than a lot of units out there.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    kholm wrote: »
    I have the Marantz NA7004 units and it uses the same commands. I wrote a basic module for control and to get feedback one afternoon and use it all the time. The module is not complete and needs some work but it does everything I need it to. The device has a couple draw backs like track status has to be constantly polled and if you poll it to fast it can drop the connection. But it does sound better than a lot of units out there.
    You should probably use the song duration to modify a timeline and use that for FB not the polling response. Then you can pause and restart the timeline when you start and stop playback. If the device doesn't provide unsolicated feedback for that I wouldn't poll for it.

That Marantz looks like a fancier version of Denon's 720 player. They're probably identical under the hood though. They do that with McCIntosh DVD players too.

What i like about the RCDN7 is that it's a complete source player with it's CD tray, iPod dock in addition to the network streaming abilities and the fact that it has a built in 65w x 2 channel amp in case you want to drive speaker direct from the player covers allot of installation needs.
  • Options
    JOHNBONZJOHNBONZ Posts: 99
    Denon IP control

How to you get control of the Denon via IP? I have an IPhone app that controls my denon and I see the commands in the telnet session. But I want to have AMX control using the IP port but I cant get it to work. How did you guys set it up?