Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Internet Radio

Client wants Internet Radio for house music. Has anyone implement with 2-way feedback and control?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Client wants Internet Radio for house music. Has anyone implement with 2-way feedback and control?

I've been using VortexBox which does radio, iRadio, RadioIO, TuneIn, etc, etc, then there's Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc, etc and then there's a built in Hard drive and ripping tray for ripping CDs or DVDs. Starts around $600/1TB. For the same price Denon has the RCN7 (?) which can do radio, air play, am/fm, CD, Pandora and maybe a few other things. It also has a built in 2channel amp which you can use or not. They also have a version w/o CD tray.

Both are controllable via IP comms. Marantz also has a box but it's the same as the Denon just in a different skin.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've done Sooloos, Autonomics and ReQuet. They all work pretty well.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I recently wrote a module for the Marantz NA7004. The control is hokey to say the least, but it seems to work quite well (short video here).

I like the Marantz because it isn't overly complicated: only does Pandora, Rhapsody, and Internet radio. Oh and Airplay, too.
  • Thanks. Is the module posted?
  • jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    Look up pianod for the rpi
    Great little combo.
    Just does pandora, but gives you full data and control over it.
    Easy protocol too.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've mostly been using Autonomics. They have an AMX module, and kit's kludgy as all get-out, but they are pretty good at support and taking suggestions (and for all I know, have implemented some of the things I've talked to them about already). I even spent an afternoon at one of my customer sites with one of their developers ironing out kinks.

I've also used the streaming services in ReQuest, and their existing UI handles it all just fine. ReQuest also supports NAS stored video and streaming video if you throw a media player in, and the AMX IP module for that works very well.

Now, what I would stay away from is anything from Denon or Marantz, including the streaming built into their receivers. It works, but it is by far the most unreliable and awkward implementation I have ever seen. It only comes close to being acceptable if you are using it on-screen with a TV.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've mostly been using Autonomics. They have an AMX module, and kit's kludgy as all get-out, but they are pretty good at support and taking suggestions (and for all I know, have implemented some of the things I've talked to them about already). I even spent an afternoon at one of my customer sites with one of their developers ironing out kinks.

I've also used the streaming services in ReQuest, and their existing UI handles it all just fine. ReQuest also supports NAS stored video and streaming video if you throw a media player in, and the AMX IP module for that works very well.

Now, what I would stay away from is anything from Denon or Marantz, including the streaming built into their receivers. It works, but it is by far the most unreliable and awkward implementation I have ever seen. It only comes close to being acceptable if you are using it on-screen with a TV.

We use the Autonomics too and like it a lot. We rolled our own module because theirs is pretty klunky. To be frank, the klunkiness is more a symptom of how the unit relates to the outside world. There are a few key issues in their protocol that make it a bit tough to impliment. Our module works fairly well but we have to tweak it quite a bit as we go depending upon what we find.

But, this aside, in and of itself, it's a great solution with a pretty good price point.
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    You might also consider a receiver from Integra or Onkyo. Basically, both are the same thing, just different brand names. IP and RS232 control and there's an AMX module for these. Even though they are a receiver, you can use line out to feed whatever you need to send the audio to. AM/FM, IPOD input, USB input, internet radio for many different sites and/or stations. Works great.