Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Voyager I

I know this is not AMX related... But we are people who design, program and build stuff and this is probably one of the highest achievements of our kind. The spacecraft Voyager I has officially left the solar system, crossing the bow shockwave of the Sun and is now in what we define as interstellar space. The processor running the code is technologically inferior to even the stuff we work on every day but it did get the job done. Pretty remarkable!

Comments

• Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Would you like to know more?

Well, a few years ago NASA announced that it had entered the Heliopause, an area of space where the outward rush of particles from the sun appeared to be slowing down and the interstellar medium was taking over.

The data they cite in the article is the same data that NASA used in their December 2012 announcement that Voyager had entered a new region at the edge of the solar system that scientists previously didn't know was there. NASA referred to this as a “highway” of magnetic particles.

The American Geophysical Union release uses this data but states that it has crossed the Heliocliff (no longer feeling the effects of the out rush of particles from the sun) where it is now dominated be particles from interstellar space. Unfortunately they are using the same data in the previous NASA release where it was said that NASA was LOOKING for a change in the magnetic field data, and this AGU paper doesn't appear to address that.

Unfortunate, but I'm sure it will get there eventually. Well, unless the aliens take it.