Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Polycom RealPresence Group Series 700 codec

Hello All~
Has anyone out there had a chance to work on controlling the fairly new Polycom Group Series codecs? The Integrator's Ref Manual has pulled out the "button" API commands for this unit, which I've used writing my own code, and that I know the AMX & Cr*str0n modules use as well for the HDX Series codecs. This was the only way to simulate the remote control and be able to navigate around in the codec's menu....so you could do a multitude of tasks, including accessing and adjusting the admin menu or entering new contacts into the directory. There's not a way to do that now via RS232...you can only use the Polycom remote or log in to the web interface. Polycom says most tasks are accomplised through the web interface anyways.

I haven't actually seen this codec in action yet, so I'm not sure what's different about the menu system. In any case, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a chance to program one and what the client's reaction was to the finished system? I'm assumming this codec is a bit less expensive than the HDX series, but it would still aggravate me if I were a commercial end user paying good money for a control system, but have to revert to another remote or a web interface to perform certain tasks. Or has someone found work-arounds?
Thanks for any input,
avcontrolfreak

Comments

• nickmnickm Posts: 152
    Hmmm. Looks like a pretty significant oversight. Especially since they don't give you a means to disable the on-screen GUI (so you can force the user to perform all functions from the touch panel).

As an aside: I saw the Group series codecs in Vancouver during the TEAM Polycom event. The on-screen GUI is a complete departure from what they were doing with HDX and VSX before it. I didn't get a ton of time to play with it, but at least they got the remote control right this time.
  • Thanks Nick. I was initially hoping it was just an oversight in the API manual and that the button commands would still work. But I've talked to two different senior Polycom techs and they've both said the button commands were removed on purpose. Very weird....
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    That being said, given the fact that they (likely) still have the remote control interface on the web admin, there's nothing stopping you from sniffing the HTTP GET or POST headers and emulating the same on your control system. In fact, the first Group series I get, you better believe I'll be doing just that.
  • reesrees Posts: 1
    Any word of a Duet Module release for the Group series?