Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

InfoComm 2013

So, it's almost that time of year again. This time round I will finally be joining all you northern hemispherians and won't just be experiencing the show via YouTube, press releases and blogs.

Who's coming? I'll be loitering around the AMX stand for a significant part of the show but if anyone is keen for some sort of beer flavoured beverage feel free to hit me up.

Also, let's make this interesting. What's everyone's predictions as far as announcements go? Pop them down below - if you nail one the beer is on me (AMX staff excluded).

Comments

• rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    I'll definitely be there as it's in my home town this year :)

I'll have to think about predictions though...
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I'm there Tues. through Friday.

Prediction: A few more manufacturers will show displays with direct HDBaseT inputs.
  • rrdbstudiosrrdbstudios Posts: 160
    I unfortunetly wont be making it, but with regards to the HDBaseT, Im guessing someone will be switching the processors out so that it can handle 4k, I've heard talk about Cre$tron doing this, since their DM switch can handle 4k, but their transmitters and recievers cannot go above 1080p.

...maybe im wrong, but I could see that push for the medical and military fields that use these technologies.
  • ThorleifurThorleifur Posts: 58
    I will be there from saturday through friday. It´s my first time at Infocomm. Beerflavored beer sounds good :)

Predictions: HDbaseT everywhere, but that is given.
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    I won't be making it this year. Toby, enjoy - it's a good show. Lots to see, and some fun stuff too. Be prepared for outrageous heat and humidity. I've been to Iceland in July, and it never gets that cold in Florida!
  • ThorleifurThorleifur Posts: 58
    Chill:
    Yeah, the heat is aweful, but the humidity is killing me.
  • AvargasAvargas Posts: 57
    Are we going to see any software update this year?

New amazing products, but still very poor design tools and an out-of-date IDE. ;(
  • Thorleifur wrote: »

Predictions: HDbaseT everywhere, but that is given.

Pretty sure I saw a rigging chain lift that claimed to be HDBT compliant....
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    So where are all these uber-hyped announcements? I've been checking the AMX website, blog, Youtube, etc., with absolutely nothing there except the 100s of pre-show teasers. The show did start yesterday, didn't it?
  • Avargas wrote: »
    Are we going to see any software update this year?

New amazing products, but still very poor design tools and an out-of-date IDE. ;(

Don't be silly New design tools!

AMX have lost the plot. Anyone with a laptop and Rapid project maker can do it so why do they need to update old Netlinx studio and TP4 ?
  • I'm assuming TPD will be getting an update in the 4th quarter, if the G5 panels ship on time/early. That is, according to the link below. I'm also happy to see HDCP compliance come to the fiber DXLink products. That could be a huge factor in switching a DM installation to DGX/DXLink.

http://www.amx.com/products/categoryNewProducts.asp
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    The new S panels look like they might actually be priced right for residential. Less than half the X series cost, the same look, continuing the G4 feature set while the X series go G5. The 4.3" table model 431 S panel could be ideal for home use, really looks cool and costs LESS than the old 430.
    So thin you don't need to cut the wall for it... even mount it on glass.
    And back to both Portrait and Landscape choices, now in table and wall. Nice. I want.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The new S panels look like they might actually be priced right for residential. Less than half the X series cost, the same look, continuing the G4 feature set while the X series go G5. The 4.3" table model 431 S panel could be ideal for home use, really looks cool and costs LESS than the old 430.
    They should have left the G4 X panels as X and the G5 panels could have triple X. :) Anything with XXX always gets my attention. :)
    OK, looks like I was reading into things on the landscape AND portrait modes for the new S 431. Strangely, the X 430 is portrait only, the S 431 is landscape only. If the early info on the product page is correct.
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    So thin you don't need to cut the wall for it... even mount it on glass.
    And back to both Portrait and Landscape choices, now in table and wall. Nice. I want.

My understanding from the booth tour the other day was that the S series will be G5 as well.
    rfletcher wrote: »
    My understanding from the booth tour the other day was that the S series will be G5 as well.
    The product page on amx.com says they're G4 and at the listed price points I'd say they have to be. I wonder what the OS for the new X is and what the browser will be.
  • kennethkkennethk Posts: 86
    The S series is G4! And they do only come in Landscape (Both Wall and TableTops).
    X series will come in both G4 AND G5, from now on (December that is).
    It will even be possible to Field-upgrade X series G4, with an upgrade KIT (Chip).
    Hmmm. That would seem to negate the thought that the G5 X is Android-related. Which is how I presumed would be the way they were moving to apps and proper gestures... but still, they could not reasonably have a new unique app platform to put browsers and SKYPE and such on.
    Im not sure about Android (or not), but the Apps are "made" by amx. And they will (if demand/popular) develop them in the future. At least what i was told...

I wonder how the Apps will be handled in TPD4?

Im under the impression Enzo and G5 has something in common??

Im very excited about Enzo!!
    Apps to come for Enzo will be interesting...?
    Lync maybe?? :-)

Im in the Commercial biz, BTW...
    The latest info on the S panels mentions that they work with a glove, stylus, and even prosthetics.

Is this a resistive screen? That would make it cheaper, but it would be a surprise in this day and age.
    But maybe they need such a product to make ADA requirements, cold environments, and such... where capacitive screens are a problem.

Resistive screens were all we had for nearly forever, so it doesn't mean they are bad, I guess.

Price matters.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    The latest info on the S panels mentions that they work with a glove, stylus, and even prosthetics. Is this a resistive screen?
    Yes. The AMX Products page for any of the S Series panels lists the specs for the Touch Screen Display and the last bullet point is: Touch Overlay: Resistive
  • kennethk wrote: »
    Im not sure about Android (or not), but the Apps are "made" by amx. And they will (if demand/popular) develop them in the future. At least what i was told...

I wonder how the Apps will be handled in TPD4?

Apps won't be handled in TPD4, only in the to be released TPD5. As I understand it each app will be assigned a placeholder in the .tp5 file and the panel will download any required apps (apart from those distributed with firmware), from the "AMX app store" by referencing an app's UUID. Each required app's UUID will need to be known in the .tp5 file at the time of panel design. There is supposed to be an SDK released for app development but the apps will have to be submitted for approval before being released into the store. At this point it does not sound like any form of side loading will be supported.

And ya, there are a lot of intersections between Enzo and G5.

PS - don't let anyone tell you that playing Angry Birds on a 21" Panorama panel isn't stupid fun.
    If you are implying that they have Angry Birds running on a panel, that would pretty much clinch that the app format is closely allied to or derived from an existing platform, and that's more likely Android than anything else.

Huh, wonder if the world would collapse in on itself if you ran TPControl in a window on a G5.
    The latest info on the S panels mentions that they work with a glove, stylus, and even prosthetics.

Is this a resistive screen? That would make it cheaper, but it would be a surprise in this day and age.
    But maybe they need such a product to make ADA requirements, cold environments, and such... where capacitive screens are a problem.

Resistive screens were all we had for nearly forever, so it doesn't mean they are bad, I guess.

Price matters.
    Personally I'd prefer it like this. I hate not being able to use the eraser end of my pencil and with the calluses on my left hand's finger tips my finger pushes often won't work on my work bench MXT1000.

Unless you're gonna try and mimic a tablet, use subpages and list boxes or some multi finger push programming is there any benefit to cap touch?
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    If you are implying that they have Angry Birds running on a panel, that would pretty much clinch that the app format is closely allied to or derived from an existing platform, and that's more likely Android than anything else.

Huh, wonder if the world would collapse in on itself if you ran TPControl in a window on a G5.

Nothing to imply, Angry Birds was running on the G5 panels.

The Singularity is upon us...
    vining wrote: »
    ...is there any benefit to cap touch?

Precision/accuracy and no calibration.
    Hardier surface, a scratch or dent in the soft plastic surface (which can end a resistive panel's life) isn't as likely.
    The surface doesn't actually have to move with physical pressure, more consistent touch
    Brighter colors and more vivid images (the 2-layer overlay can't be perfectly clear as they are conductive).
    Gestures can actually work smoothly.

But I can live quite well with good resistive considering the price, and there clearly are places and people who have reason to prefer them.
    Regarding Angry Birds.

I was under the impression we were playing this version at the show floor?
    http://chrome.angrybirds.com/
    If so, we are at least running Chrome in there...?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Uh oh...
    If you were at InfoComm please read this.

http://www.infocomm.org/cps/rde/xchg/infocomm/hs.xsl/37188.htm
    InfoComm 2013 Medical Alert
    By InfoComm International, 06/17/2013

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Betsy Jaffe
    Director of Public Relations
    InfoComm International

FAIRFAX, VA -- Today InfoComm International was informed that a participant at our recent InfoComm 2013 trade show was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ Disease.* Our member is being hospitalized this week and all of us at InfoComm are hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Upon learning this news, InfoComm immediately checked in with the Orange County Convention Center and was told that no other cases have been reported.* InfoComm also contacted the Holiday Inn Resort – Castle, where the guest lodged during the trade show, to see if additional incidents have been reported. At this time, we have not received confirmation of further reports.

Most people exposed to bacteria do not become ill.* However, if you attended InfoComm 2013 and are suffering from symptoms of Legionnaires’ Disease, please seek immediate medical attention and mention that you may have been exposed to the Legionella bacteria. Signs of the disease can include a high fever, chills, cough, and fatigue or weakness. Some people may also suffer from muscle aches and headaches. Chest X-rays are needed to find the pneumonia caused by the bacteria, and other tests can be done to find evidence of the bacteria in the body. These symptoms usually begin two to 14 days after being exposed to the bacteria.

Each year, between 8,000 and 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires' disease in the U.S. More illness is usually found in the summer and early fall, but it can happen any time of the year.

If you attended InfoComm 2013 and a medical professional diagnoses you with Legionnaires’ Disease, please have an associate contact me at InfoComm International.

###

😳
    Scary...