Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Recommendation on audio streamer

Looking for a recommendation on an inexpensive audio streamer. I have used the Escient branded products in the past, and would like to find another product that has some of the same levels of integration for a lower cost. Of particular interest is the potential to get true metadata shown on the touchpanels (like the escients allowed). Unit does not have to have any hardrive storage as all audio is loaded on a server that is on 24x7. all files are currently in MP3 format. Tried the ATV, and wasn't overly impressed, but something in that price point would be wonderful :) . any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ReQuest or the Autonomic. The ReQuest has a more mature and better working module for AMX; the Autonomic has more streaming options and media flexibility ... but you have to deal with some really kludgy module code unless you write your own.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've ben using vortexbox and for the price It can't be beat. $700.00, 1TB, rip tray, dvd and blu- ray if you like, FLAC, mp3, aac, etc. 3-5 independent audio out source/streams per unit. More internet sources than any other product, mog, spotify, sirius, pandora, tunein, etc. unfortunately the future of its internet plugins is in the air but ripped, transferred stored music will have no issues.

Nuvo has a server and internet streaming player that looks to have promise. They also came out with a SONOS knock off that will have an open API.

For now I'll stick with the VB since I believe provisions will be made that will plugins to operate w/o Logitech's proxy for account management. Spotify and tunein already do but I also use mog and pandora in many jobs.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    The AMX programmer in me recommends and has done ReQuest, Autonomics and Sooloos.

I would also ditto Dave's comments about the modules. Sooloos is like Autonomics in that their modules do not deal with multi UI systems well. I've written modules we use for the latter two and they function well.

The music producer / audio engineer in me hopes the streaming music business model dies. It's awful for the artists.
  • Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154
    Looking at my customer base, no one wants the messing around of ripping disks anymore. Customers want portable music and easy accessibility. The fact that apple screwed around with the dock connector has made this harder because no one wants to buy docks.
    In the interim , I've taken to specifying Sonos....even though it grates on me, the margin is rubbish... But it works and it does what clients want..
  • Options
    alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    vining wrote: »
    I've ben using vortexbox and for the price It can't be beat. $700.00, 1TB, rip tray, dvd and blu- ray if you like, FLAC, mp3, aac, etc. 3-5 independent audio out source/streams per unit. More internet sources than any other product, mog, spotify, sirius, pandora, tunein, etc. unfortunately the future of its internet plugins is in the air but ripped, transferred stored music will have no issues.

Nuvo has a server and internet streaming player that looks to have promise. They also came out with a SONOS knock off that will have an open API.

For now I'll stick with the VB since I believe provisions will be made that will plugins to operate w/o Logitech's proxy for account management. Spotify and tunein already do but I also use mog and pandora in many jobs.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will check out the nuvo online to see what it offers. I remember playing with the request u it's before going ESCIENT and they were solid units. I think all those however (request, sooloos, and autonomic) are overkill for what I want. All my music is already ripped and stored on a server. I just need a playback device that works well.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Yamaha's AV receivers make decent streaming devices. The current models can play from DLNA sources.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    If this is for yourself, consider buying a used Request on ebay. They frequently are available at absurdly low prices... a 2-zone unit just sold for $100. Why not have a good one?
  • Options
    alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    John Nagy wrote: »
    If this is for yourself, consider buying a used Request on ebay. They frequently are available at absurdly low prices... a 2-zone unit just sold for $100. Why not have a good one?

Didn't think they would be going that cheap. You thinking a fusion pro?
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Go see for yourself. F-2 with a 160 drive currently $75. They frequently sell below $200, fully working. These will not run the newest operating system from ReQuest, V7, just released, but they will happily run V6 which was just fine.

The used prices are silly low, there's no reason not to have one... they integrate well, do Pandora, external drives, streaming radio, more. I love my 4-zone F4 with 500gig drive... that I got for 88$ and shipping a year ago.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm a ReQuest dealer, and I even bought myself a used F2 for $400 on EBay (was a few years ago, they've dropped in price). It's every bit as functional as the the new units for ripped music ... not sure if the streaming is up to date though, since I stream on my receiver and never tried it.