Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

NAS Box for DLNA

Greetings,

Any recommendations for a NAS box that would be used primarily as a DLNA server? There are several Yamaha receivers and an Autonomics MMS on the network that would be the clients.

Thanks.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've been using the LaCie 2Big and 5Big drives for that kind of thing. Haven't had any issues, though I recommend putting them in the RAID format for redundancy appropriate to the drive arrangement (they default in one of the performance configurations).
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Check out Synology
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    the8thst wrote: »
    Check out Synology

I also like the Synology box for the camera station package, it will also run an iTunes server package and logitech media server, plex and a whole bunch of other stuff. QNap is a similar product and you can also use a Vortexbox which has a rip CD/DVD tray, plex, subsonic, mpad, etc. I think the Vortex is the best value unless you need the camera station for IP cameras DVR functionality.
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    I've had good luck using FreeNAS as a general-purpose NAS, although I have not tried DLNA. It would be easy enough to test if you have a spare hard drive lying around. The price is certainly right. http://www.freenas.org/
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Thanks guys. I ordered a Synology.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    chill wrote: »
    I've had good luck using FreeNAS as a general-purpose NAS, although I have not tried DLNA. It would be easy enough to test if you have a spare hard drive lying around. The price is certainly right. http://www.freenas.org/

I used FreeNAS for a while, but you have to be fairly careful with harddrive selection as their software will eventually cause some drives to prematurely fail.

I also started to feel guilty for having a full tower server case running dual P4's just for a nas system. The old server was the only spare thing I had lying around, so that was my only option.