How can I send an email using i!-EquipmentMonitor and Gmail?

2Fast2Fast Junior MemberPosts: 90
Hello,

A few years ago I used to send emails with the netlinx master.. but, I was working in a company and they gave me the IP of the SMTP server and all emails were sent and worked very well.

I would like to know if I can use the same code with Gmail to send some messages when the security system requires an action.

Regards,

Rodolfo

Comments

  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    You can't. GMail requires TLS and i!-EquipmentMonitor doesn't support it.
  • 2Fast2Fast Junior Member Posts: 90
    Thank you!

    Do you have any suggestion to send email?
  • HedbergHedberg Junior Member Posts: 671
    2Fast wrote: »
    Thank you!

    Do you have any suggestion to send email?

    according to this site:http://lifehacker.com/111166/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server you can do it with gmail. I have not tried it. (I'm probably wrong about using gmail).

    If that won't work, there are numerous free email accounts available that offer email sending with smtp. Also, if you, or anybody that you are friends with, has some sort of web hosting with just about any hosting service you can probably access an smtp server through that host.
  • HedbergHedberg Junior Member Posts: 671
    Looking at that site more carefully I see that it refers to TLS. So, if the AMX application does not support that, then David is correct (no doubt, he is). But, you should still be able to find a working server for free somewhere. I have done it with a server that comes with a godaddy hosting account.
  • 2Fast2Fast Junior Member Posts: 90
    Hedberg wrote: »
    according to this site:http://lifehacker.com/111166/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server you can do it with gmail. I have not tried it. (I'm probably wrong about using gmail).

    If that won't work, there are numerous free email accounts available that offer email sending with smtp. Also, if you, or anybody that you are friends with, has some sort of web hosting with just about any hosting service you can probably access an smtp server through that host.

    I'll try it with gmal..

    Excellent idea, I'm doing this job for a company that have their own website and it will work.

    Thanks a lot!!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,166
    Seems like everybody and there mother are offering web hosting services. I have my own for my record label, music business and several of the bands on the label. It's pretty reasonable. I use directnic.com

    Also, for my AMX and 'other' programming gigs is use DynDNS.org. I might be wrong but I think they too now offer web hosting for cheap.

    I personally like being able to manage these things myself as I hate the fire drill that happens when the client's ISP changes some little thing; thus blowing up my lients program and whomever else uses the same stuff. To me the $20-30 a year is much easier to deal with than the $100s to $1000s of dollars in lost labor I can't charge the client because something stupid happened to their email service.
  • 2Fast2Fast Junior Member Posts: 90
    Thank you, ericmedley!
  • John NagyJohn Nagy CineTouch Product Manager Posts: 1,539
    If I understand the the request, getting email to a GMAIL account, don't forget that you can send it via some service that you CAN support, and set that mailbox to forward to the GMAIL account desired.
  • 2Fast2Fast Junior Member Posts: 90
    John Nagy wrote: »
    If I understand the the request, getting email to a GMAIL account, don't forget that you can send it via some service that you CAN support, and set that mailbox to forward to the GMAIL account desired.

    Hey John,

    Thanks for your support... but I'm just looking for a solution to send emails, I tough in gmail service because I think it's great email service.
  • viningvining X Member Posts: 4,354
    I set up a tcp server on my office master with that port used forwarded to my master in my router. Clients simply connect to my office master using my dyndns address and port used for my server. The clients sends in a format I design and my server parses accordingly. I then use my email account to send emails to myself and clients or what ever else I deem necassary based on the message recieved from the client. I control both sides and the only thing that could possibly change is my email account and since I control that account I can do what ever I need to keep emails working. I don't need to worry about client's accounts changing and the only hole I put in the firewall wall is in my own firewall for that forwarded port. Client's have no ports open for anything.
Sign In or Register to comment.