Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Cannot open Telnet in Netlinx Studio

Hi,

I installed the latest Netlinx Studio on a Windows 8 computer. It seems to work otherwise ok, but the Telnet window cannot be opened. I always get error: Could not open temporary buffer file for the Telnet View. Any suggeestions?

Best regards,

Markku Metsovuori
AV-systems Oy

Comments

• Options
    GregGGregG Posts: 251
    I'm running on windows 8 (64) and the telnet function works fine for me. I never use it though, I prefer to use PuTTY instead, since I can set the scrollback buffer to a really big number (like 200000 lines). http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I have several computers with NLS, and get the exact same error on 2 of them, the other 2 are fine. All are Windows 7.
    If anyone finds a solution, it would be nice to know.

I too use PUTTY and prefer it, so the failure in NLS isn't a big deal. But it makes me worry what else is wrong.
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    That error happens in about half of all Netlinx Studio installs, I have no idea why but I am quite sure it won't be fixed in a hurry as it has been like that for years now.

If you right click on a device in the online tree you can select to open a telnet session to the device, that always works so just do that.
  • Options
    champ wrote: »
    If you right click on a device in the online tree you can select to open a telnet session to the device, that always works so just do that.

Sounds good, but no joy. If I select LAUNCH TELNET IN NLSTUDIO from the right click, it crashes entirely to the desktop. If I select LAUNCH TELNET VIA USER DEFINED PROGRAM, it says CAN'T FIND TELNET.EXE.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Sounds good, but no joy. If I select LAUNCH TELNET IN NLSTUDIO from the right click, it crashes entirely to the desktop. If I select LAUNCH TELNET VIA USER DEFINED PROGRAM, it says CAN'T FIND TELNET.EXE.

You know, after years and years of Telnet in NS not working, kinda working, working but crashing after use, etc... I've just moved on and sworn off it totally.

I use good old Windows CMD Telnet for quickie IP based telnet and PuTTY for everything else. I figure if AMX isn't going to spend the time and resources to fix the darned thing then why waste my time worrying about it. There are some perfectly good options available that don't cost a dime.
  • Options
    Same here, Putty rules, but I support a lot of dealers who struggle with NLS before going Putty. If there were a simple answer, I'd love to have it. Looks like there won't be.

My most recent attempts were based on a hope that I could use NLS telnet to reach a slave at a remote site through the NLS connection to the master (which is vaguely implied in the help). There was no VPN and no route to the slave.

It would have been nifty. But Nope, not even where Telnet in NLS works.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote: »
    You know, after years and years of Telnet in NS not working, kinda working, working but crashing after use, etc... I've just moved on and sworn off it totally.

I use good old Windows CMD Telnet for quickie IP based telnet and PuTTY for everything else. I figure if AMX isn't going to spend the time and resources to fix the darned thing then why waste my time worrying about it. There are some perfectly good options available that don't cost a dime.

Ditto, but I also use Indigo for CLI when working on Cisco switches, Vortexbox and stuff that has to many commands to remember since it allows multiple libraries and variables to be used. Just click a libray entry.