Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

block the program

Good day!
Please tell me how to just block the program downloaded to the controller. I need it as insurance, Easley client has not paid for the work. It is certainly possible to insert the current date condition in every event, but do not want to redo the entire program.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    AMB wrote: »
    Good day!
    Please tell me how to just block the program downloaded to the controller. I need it as insurance, Easley client has not paid for the work. It is certainly possible to insert the current date condition in every event, but do not want to redo the entire program.
    Thank you.

If you have remote access to the site via the Internet I'd just load a blank program. Or you could just throw the first dips witch which will disable the program.

I don't know if its still the case but AMX used to frown on such programming, this to the point if saying repeated use of a "kill switch" in programming could jeopardize your dealer agreement.

If you have several clients who don't pay, I'd say you have the wrong clients. I don't keep clients who don't pay myself. It's not good for business.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    The best approach is the use of a provisional license key similar to what software providers do. Code the program to require a key after x amount of time. Be up front with the clients, write it in your contracts, and let them know the system's program is initially installed with out a key and it will only operate with out one for x amount of time after which time it will cease to operate and the key will only be installed when it's paid for.

You may not sign as many job and you may still need lawyers to get the final payment in the end. The best thing to do is always stay ahead with your billing schedule, get at least 50% up front, another 25% when equipment is delivered, another 15-20% when the system is completely installed but prior to being operationa and then there's just 5-10% at risk at the end and your always paid up expenses to date and the worst that happens is you lose part of your margin.

It seems everytime I think I won't have problems with a particular client and do work with out getting paid first I have problems. I think it's just easier to get money from clients before than after.
  • Options
    AMBAMB Posts: 18
    ericmedley wrote: »
    If you have remote access to the site via the Internet I'd just load a blank program. Or you could just throw the first dips witch which will disable the program.

I don't know if its still the case but AMX used to frown on such programming, this to the point if saying repeated use of a "kill switch" in programming could jeopardize your dealer agreement.

If you have several clients who don't pay, I'd say you have the wrong clients. I don't keep clients who don't pay myself. It's not good for business.

I agree with you. But I am from Russia and we are different customers. I meant to do in a program tied to the date of the event, which, after the onset of the program blocks. Not Internet access.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    A method we use is a temporary key that has to be typed into telnet that allows the system to run until a timer expires. Then the program stops.

We have a permanent license file we provide when the job is complete, until then the dealer can restart the code anytime, but only for a fixed period. The customer cannot restart the code, as it takes a telnet password and a telnet key command.

The only way this works without angry customers and lawsuits is with full disclosure of how the license works.

In the USA and some other countries, it is considered vandalism to damage or disable a service or product that was contracted, the remedy is a lawsuit to collect.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    AMB wrote: »
    ... do not want to redo the entire program.

Whatever you decide, you need not put it in every event, just once in the main line. It will get there soon enough.