Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

NFC

Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone has successfully configured a touch panel to utilize the NFC function. Currently, our badging system is using iClass cards. I haven't been able to get this working with the Modero X that is suppose to support the Supports standards ISO/IEC 15693, ISO/IEC 14443A, or ISO/IEC 14443B.

I contacted AMX technical support and they kind of glassed over when I started talking about NFC. Kind of surprising there aren't any threads on here either.

Any insight would be great.

Comments

• Options
    Matt,
    Are you seeing the custom event fire? Does the audible beep happen when you present the card?

I put a sample workspace [post=65531] here[/post] that will spit the panel custom event details out as send_string 0's in telnet. I think it should work for you to see if the event is firing with your specific card.

Additional NFC Custom Event documentation can be found here:
    pdf page 139
  • Options
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    Matt,
    Are you seeing the custom event fire? Does the audible beep happen when you present the card?

I put a sample workspace [post=65531] here[/post] that will spit the panel custom event details out as send_string 0's in telnet. I think it should work for you to see if the event is firing with your specific card.

Additional NFC Custom Event documentation can be found here:
    pdf page 139

I'm not quite sure that our cards even work with the Modero TPs. The ISO specs match up, but I'm not getting anything within the TP menu that at least acknowledges that a card has been swiped.
  • Options
    Matt,
    Can you contact HID for details on the card? When I read the iClass reader specs, it would appear that iClass cards may fall into a special card-type category:
    http://www.hidglobal.com/sites/hidglobal.com/files/resource_files/iclass-products-br-en.pdf

I see that the HID branded reader from the pdf linked above supports the following cards:
    -HID iCLASS
    -ISO 15693 CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -ISO 14443A (MIFARE) CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -ISO 14443B CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -FeliCa IDm (Modero X does not currently support, but there appears to be a placeholder for this per the programming guide)
    -FIPS 201

So, if the card is HID iClass and not one of the supported types by Modero X, that would explain why you are not receiving the event.
  • Options
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    Matt,
    Can you contact HID for details on the card? When I read the iClass reader specs, it would appear that iClass cards may fall into a special card-type category:
    http://www.hidglobal.com/sites/hidglobal.com/files/resource_files/iclass-products-br-en.pdf

I see that the HID branded reader from the pdf linked above supports the following cards:
    -HID iCLASS
    -ISO 15693 CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -ISO 14443A (MIFARE) CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -ISO 14443B CSN (Modero X appears to support)
    -FeliCa IDm (Modero X does not currently support, but there appears to be a placeholder for this per the programming guide)
    -FIPS 201

So, if the card is HID iClass and not one of the supported types by Modero X, that would explain why you are not receiving the event.

I contacted HID. They confirmed that it is indeed ISO 15693. Would it be something I need to program to get working? I was under the assumption it will at least acknowledge it works within the TP menu.
  • Options
    I would suggest the following:
    Enter setup and go to the sounds page. Enable and select an NFC sound. Sounds aren't required but they help in debugging.
    Then, go into the Connections and Networks page and select the NFC page. Ensure that NFC is enabled.

Stay on this screen and slowly move the card across the NFC sensor area. The manuals for each panel type highlight this area on the bezel. The range is fairly small. In many cases you'll need to be a half inch or so from the bezel. Also, you may need to ensure that the portion of the card containing the sensor chip is directly over the NFC antenna on the panel's bezel. If the card is detected, the panel should beep and display the card's UID on the screen.
  • Options
    gsmith wrote: »
    I would suggest the following:
    Enter setup and go to the sounds page. Enable and select an NFC sound. Sounds aren't required but they help in debugging.
    Then, go into the Connections and Networks page and select the NFC page. Ensure that NFC is enabled.

Stay on this screen and slowly move the card across the NFC sensor area. The manuals for each panel type highlight this area on the bezel. The range is fairly small. In many cases you'll need to be a half inch or so from the bezel. Also, you may need to ensure that the portion of the card containing the sensor chip is directly over the NFC antenna on the panel's bezel. If the card is detected, the panel should beep and display the card's UID on the screen.

I got this from the product engineer----

"Although iClass cards may be ISO15693-2 compliant on the RF interface, they may not be fully compliant to ISO15693-3 (which describes the transmission protocol). What this means is that the NFC Transceiver in the Modero X may technically have the capability to talk to an iClass card, but specialized firmware would be required to communicate with the cards in a meaningful way.

Since we did not test any iClass cards in-house during Modero X development, I cannot say definitively whether or not that particular type of card will work. The best way to verify is by going to the NFC setup page and swiping the card across the NFC sensor area (make sure you are holding in the right area and very close (i.e. < 1/2 inch) from the panel). If the UID is not read, then we likely cannot support the card type.

We officially do not support external NFC readers, although we do support some USB smart card readers."

I guess my only question is, will this firmware be released to include the ISO15693-2, and or will a USB HID reader work with the Modero X?