Home AMX User Forum Duet/Cafe Duet

Is Cafe Duet version 2 coming soon?

With the "new Java environment" for the NX controllers, and the updated Java runtime on the 4.x firmware, are we going to see Cafe Duet version 2 come out any time soon?

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Would be curious to know percentage of programmer really using Duet (out of just using some drivers made by AMX)..... considering price of Café Duet !
  • mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    I'm just getting started, but it does make some things a lot easier. I'm really hoping with the new platform, AMX is finally going to go all in on Java. I'm hoping the licensing fees won't be an issue anymore, since it seems like with the NX series, they're just using Oracle's standard Java SE 7 for Linux. From how I understand Oracle's licensing, AMX only needs to pay Oracle per embedded device shipped (so Oracle gets a cut from each controller). The development environment should be free to distribute.
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    mstocum wrote: »
    I'm just getting started, but it does make some things a lot easier. I'm really hoping with the new platform, AMX is finally going to go all in on Java. I'm hoping the licensing fees won't be an issue anymore, since it seems like with the NX series, they're just using Oracle's standard Java SE 7 for Linux. From how I understand Oracle's licensing, AMX only needs to pay Oracle per embedded device shipped (so Oracle gets a cut from each controller). The development environment should be free to distribute.
    it would be great as it would allow at least to program from Linux or Mac without using virtualisation to run Windows !!!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    vincen wrote: »
    it would be great as it would allow at least to program from Linux or Mac without using virtualisation to run Windows !!!

FYI, all of the AMX development apps I've tried run nicely within Wine. It's still virtualisation but not quite as hefty as spinning up a full VM.
  • mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    PhreaK wrote: »
    FYI, all of the AMX development apps I've tried run nicely within Wine. It's still virtualisation but not quite as hefty as spinning up a full VM.

Are you using Linux or OS X? I've never had much luck under OS X with Wine.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    OS X. You need to make sure that you install the visual C++ redistributable first, then all is good.
  • GregGGregG Posts: 251
    I've run the netlinx tools in wine before, but the button properties tab in TPDesign never worked right for me. Netlinx Studio was 100% though, as far as i could tell.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    I've run the netlinx tools in wine before, but the button properties tab in TPDesign never worked right for me. Netlinx Studio was 100% though, as far as i could tell.

TPDesign 4 doesn't even work correctly on my second monitor, so that is no big suprise.