Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPDesign5 doesn't run on windows7 64bit, help !

Hi,
when I try to run TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 (just installed with no errors) I get no errors, no warning and TPdesign5 doesn't start !!
If I go to see the windows application errors on the control panel event viewer I get this :

Application Error
Date: 09/07/2014 17:23:01
ID: 1000
Cat : (100)
Level: Error

XML :
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-09T15:23:01.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>93652</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Fabri-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>TPDesign5.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.0.22</Data>
<Data>5356d11a</Data>
<Data>mfc100.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.40219.325</Data>
<Data>4df2e0e4</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00053d50</Data>
<Data>1d50</Data>
<Data>01cf9b89aa7848a4</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\AMX Control Disc\TPDesign5\TPDesign5.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\windows\system32\mfc100.dll</Data>
<Data>e9742466-077c-11e4-b5d4-c08612084de2</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Hmmm.. It rubs well on my rig...
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    ericmedley wrote: »

That sounds dirty :p
    rfletcher wrote: »
    That sounds dirty :p

Ha! Typing skillz... I haz them.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Very pleased to hear it! Classic! :)
  • TorbidoniTorbidoni Posts: 20
    No ideas ?

I really need some help to try to solve this, seriously. I can't work with 2 PC's since this application (only this!) doesn't run ! No error message appear when I try to run it, is like if the message was intentionally hidden ! No message, no error :-)
    You may need to get some help from tech support specifically with the software engineers. I'm guessing it has something to do with your specific setup since nobody here seems to have the same issue. And, as I'm sure you are aware, how Windoze sets itself up based upon your hardware and installed software can be a daunting task.

Not to do the old guy thing of waxing on bygone days... but I recently had a weird problem with a few of my apps in Windows 7 in that when you launched them, windows would hang for up to several minutes. I either had to force quit the app or if I was patient, sometimes it would eventually come up.

After Windows did an update this problem seemed to go away. I never did figure out what was going on. In the windows diagnostic whatever processes were hanging we also not showing up.

All this to say that you may just have to do the good ole reinstall windows - reinstall software thing. It might fix it. it might not.

not much help - I know - but it is what it is.
    UPDATE

TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 on Window7 64-bit : Not starting (and no error messages).
    TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 on Window XP 32-bit : Starting and Working.

Uninstalled TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 and Installed TPDesign5 1.1.0.38

TPDesign5 1.1.0.38 on Window7 64-bit : Not starting (and no error messages) same as before.
    TPDesign5 1.1.0.22 on Window XP 32-bit : NOT Starting and I get an error in a DLL entry point...

Back to TPDesign5 1.0.0.22

TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 on Window7 64-bit : Not starting (and no error messages).
    TPDesign5 1.0.0.22 on Window XP 32-bit : Starting and Working.

All my OS are in Italian language, in the TPDesign5 1.1.0.38 "Readme File" I've found this :

"Software and Hardware Requirements

To install TPDesign5, you must have the following software installed on your computer:

Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8 (32- or 64-bit)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>Operating System Languages: English, Spanish, French, German<<<<<<<<<<
    Minimum hardware requirements

60 MB of free disk space (minimum requirement); 80 MB recommended
    Minimum (VGA) screen resolution of 800x600
    Windows-compatible mouse (or other pointing device)"

Could the reason of all my problems to be that ? The OS language ??
    Fabrizio.
  • kennethkkennethk Posts: 86
    Im running TPD5 on my W8 64bit. Os running norwegian language, and no problem.
    Well,
    Perhaps try reinstalling Windows with English US. Then install the AMX software. Then go back and add the Italian language package afterwards.
    Thanks for the answers !
    So the language seems not to be the cause.
    I'd rather not to reinstall the whole operating system because after this, I should also reinstall hundreds of applications. It seems to me like changing a whole car just because a light is not working .... I hope to get a suggestion or an indication from an AMX software developer engineer in order to understand what's wrong... Maybe they can ask me to check a particular file or DLL release etc... Something like : "Our software doesn't work because your xxxxxxx.DLL file is not up to date, try to install a .NET framework 4.5.1 etc....." Because I think the issue is something very similar..
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Torbidoni wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers !
    So the language seems not to be the cause.
    I'd rather not to reinstall the whole operating system because after this, I should also reinstall hundreds of applications. It seems to me like changing a whole car just because a light is not working .... I hope to get a suggestion or an indication from an AMX software developer engineer in order to understand what's wrong... Maybe they can ask me to check a particular file or DLL release etc... Something like : "Our software doesn't work because your xxxxxxx.DLL file is not up to date, try to install a .NET framework 4.5.1 etc....." Because I think the issue is something very similar..

You're probably right, it's almost certainly something of that nature. The difficulty is finding it, and if AMX can't duplicate the issue in-house, it's going to be a problem. Maybe a search for other software showing similar issues would point you in the right direction. This is a case where knowing the development platform of NS and what it's dependencies are will help a lot.
    Update 2

I tested an other PC running Windows 7 32bit (Italian Lang.) and it works fine. But I'm still working with two PC's.....
    Thanks for your suggestion, DHawthorne. I will search the web for other software with similar issue....
  • Not sure what exactly your issue involves, other than that it apparently involves the mfc100.dll, which is a Microsoft runtime dll which many Windows apps distribute and install.

BTW, the application was developed on Windows7-64 (English), and was tested on both Win7- and Win8-64, so it's not the OS.

The TPDesign5 install (and the TPDesign4 install) utilizes a distributable issued by Microsoft that updates the runtime DLLs according to specific logic devised by Microsoft. This is the recommended method for developers to install/update the runtime DLLs when installing an application.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Not sure what exactly your issue involves, other than that it apparently involves the mfc100.dll, which is a Microsoft runtime dll which many Windows apps distribute and install.

BTW, the application was developed on Windows7-64 (English), and was tested on both Win7- and Win8-64, so it's not the OS.

The TPDesign5 install (and the TPDesign4 install) utilizes a distributable issued by Microsoft that updates the runtime DLLs according to specific logic devised by Microsoft. This is the recommended method for developers to install/update the runtime DLLs when installing an application.

Unfortunately, not everyone follows recommendations, so another program might have overwrote the correct DLL with whatever it preferred (and possibly by intent with malice).
  • I tryed each and every combination of windows installation, even one equal to mine installed as virtual machine on the same PC. ALL ARE WORKING good except mine ! So,OK, 100% is not an incompatibility issue regarding OS but something corrupted (DLL or registry) on my OS. Even if I tryed every cleanup, dll replacing, all redist. package reinstalled, no way to make it work. It's clear that something is misconfigured or corrupted on the OS, but what is puzzling me is: Why only TPDesign5 give me that problem and NO OTHER program (older or newer, fresh installed or already installed) give me any errors or malfunction ? What is this so peculiar (SHARED !) dll or driver that TPDesign is using ? If the dll is shared that mean it will be used by other programs, so why these ALL are working fine ?
    Torbidoni wrote: »
    I tryed each and every combination of windows installation, even one equal to mine installed as virtual machine on the same PC. ALL ARE WORKING good except mine ! So,OK, 100% is not an incompatibility issue regarding OS but something corrupted (DLL or registry) on my OS. Even if I tryed every cleanup, dll replacing, all redist. package reinstalled, no way to make it work. It's clear that something is misconfigured or corrupted on the OS, but what is puzzling me is: Why only TPDesign5 give me that problem and NO OTHER program (older or newer, fresh installed or already installed) give me any errors or malfunction ? What is this so peculiar (SHARED !) dll or driver that TPDesign is using ? If the dll is shared that mean it will be used by other programs, so why these ALL are working fine ?

This one is a stumper... About the only thing I can think of (and admittedly I have no clue if it would even matter) is perhaps a hardware issue with the USB driver causing the installer to crap out. Pretty weak, I know, but seriously I cannot think of what's going on.

the fact that there are probably hundreds of pieces and parts at play within the OS that might or might not be working make it a terribly difficult problem to suss out.

it's unfortunate the one single program is forcing you to make some difficult choices but that's the reality. In my own personal economy, I try to take into account that my time is expensive. Even though it's odious to think about rebuilding a computer from OS up, the time spent doing that would soon be less than the time you've had to spend trying to finesse the existing install to work. and even then, there's no guaranty that it will work well.

It is for these reasons, I've started doing disk images of my PCs (Using Acronus http://www.acronis.com/en-us/) it regularly images my hard drives so I can quickly go back when I do something horribly wrong. it images nightly for me. If I were in your shoes, I'd grab a quick image of my drive, reformat and start from scratch installing the OS again, run the install of TPD5 and see if it works better after a fresh install. If it works, then you know it had to be a corrupt OS install. You'll then know your best choice is to rebuild and move on.

that's what I'd do.