Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Panasonic camera view to iPad

I posted this but it did not appear, so my apology if it is somewhere else on the forum.

I am trying to set up a Panasonic WV-SP509 ip camera to display on an iPad using TP Control.
I am aware they do not support H.264 so I have set up the camera to use JPEG transmission.
After reading through some previous posts, I was able to access the camera and set up Dynamic Images.
I have set the refresh at 0 and checked the Dynamo Resources box.
The image displays on the iPad but is static.
I am using the following settings:

address: 10.0.0.50:80
path: cgi-bin
file: camera?channel=1

with the appropriate username and password set.

Am I approaching this wrong for a dynamic stream?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    JPEG is a static format by definition, unless you meant to say MJPEG. But I think the method you are using *may* just be pulling a snapshot in any case. I haven't used that particular model, but the ones I have used required a file named nphMotionJpeg?<enter parameters here>. That might be a red herring, not sure what your device requires. I'm not even sure where I got that, since the page source uses something else (which you can also try, view the frame source).

If your parameters *are* correct for that device, or nothing else is available, you can try making the refresh 1. That's only a frame per second, but it will force it to update at least. I wouldn't want to watch what's going on that way, but it's enough to know whether something is happening.
  • Panasonic ip issues...

So I took a look at a website, ispy-open source project.
    They have lots of camera protocols listed.
    For the Panasonic WV-SP509 they show the following:

http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/mjpeg?stream=[CHANNEL]

I am a little confused how I parse this to enter into the dynamic images set up.
    I am not sure where I would get the channel. I used 1 with the static results, perhaps I should try that again!?

I also saw a previous thread (2004) where somebody set up an ftp file in the netlinx controller, sent the camera image to it and routed dynamic images to it. It's a bit advanced for my programming ability but if the above doesn't work and somebody with a little free time would like to post the how to's, I would like to give that option a try. I noticed this topic comes up often for various cameras. It may be a help to many.

So I tested the above format in a browser and it works fine. However. I am getting an error (unexpected error retrieving file), when I try to put it into dynamic images and load live file.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624

I am a little confused how I parse this to enter into the dynamic images set up.
    I am not sure where I would get the channel. I used 1 with the static results, perhaps I should try that again!?

I also saw a previous thread (2004) where somebody set up an ftp file in the netlinx controller, sent the camera image to it and routed dynamic images to it. It's a bit advanced for my programming ability but if the above doesn't work and somebody with a little free time would like to post the how to's, I would like to give that option a try. I noticed this topic comes up often for various cameras. It may be a help to many.

So I tested the above format in a browser and it works fine. However. I am getting an error (unexpected error retrieving file), when I try to put it into dynamic images and load live file.

I haven't worked with that particular camera but the docs should give you the URL to stream MJPEGs. For Panasonic cameras I've dealt with, I leave the path blank, and in the file field I use nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=1280x960&Quality=CMotion or something similar depending on the camera.

The resolution and quality properties likely change depending on what camera you have. Just nphMotionJpeg should get something on the screen though. In your case, if its supposed to use http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/mjpeg?stream=channel, the channel is probably the number of the camera channel, usually 1 but could be higher if you are logging into a cam server. Try these URLs in a browser so you can easily twiddle the URL to see what happens. I leave the refresh rate at 0 and check dynamo resource.

The FTP thing seems like a bit of a workaround, and would be slower in theory. Why store the file on the controller when you just want to display it on the panel? Plus it uses resources on the controller which are usually in short supply. You may also have network issues too, and the Get Live File button doesn't work more often than not, never bothered to figure out why.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584

Don't worry about the error in TPDesign. It will work on the actual panel. IP_ADDRESS should be your host, cgi-bin the path (you probably don't need it, as Paul pointed out, try without first), and the rest *all* goes under file name.