Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

COntrol a Rotating PC?

I have a Mobile Presentationsystem (40ft Trailer) that I'm installing a NI-3000 with just a 16 button right now to select the source and volume control and Lighting.... They wish to put the PC input in the back room with the Rack, The laptop will usually stay the same, but there are chances that it will change from time to time.

Is there a way to add PC control for basic powerpoint Forward/Back kind of stuff that is not PC dependant?

Thanks

Comments

• Yes, i!-PCLinkPowerPoint is designed to control PowerPoint from NetLinx. Although is is not completly PC independant, it does require you install the application on the target PC.

http://www.amx.com/internet-inside.asp?module=PCLink/PowerPoint&t=&p=tcs_ii

Thanks,
    Robert Savage
  • i!-PCLinkPowerPoint is a small application that installs on the target computer and monitors active PowerPoint presentations. In NetLinx you can easily control the presentation with functions like STOP, PLAY, NEXT, PREF, FIRST, LAST, and much more. In fact if you are only using a push button interface, no touch panel, you dont even need to load the i!-PCLinkPowerPoint module. You would just need to install the PC software and configure it to connect to your NetLinx master. Then in the NetLinx code you would just define the device (i.e. dvPCLinkPP = 8001:1:0) and then control the presenation with DO_PUSHES:

To navigate to the next slide:
    DO_PUSH(dvPCLinkPP, 4)

To navigate to the previous slide:
    DO_PUSH(dvPCLinkPP, 5)

The full listing of channels, level, and send command API are listed at the end of the i!-PCLinkPowerPoint help file.

Thanks,
    Robert Savage
  • A easy solution that we have done is an USB RF mouse, just plug and pray into any laptop. We use the interlink remotepoint RF. Just an idea in case you have some clients that are fussy about you loading software onto their computers.
  • ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    Is the app someone(Average powerpoint presenter) can easily install? THis is going through a third party (Trailer manufactuerer) to be delivered to the end user that is based 1000 miles away.... While chicago will most definatly be a stop, I wont be able to set up the laptops for them initially or on a regular basis should it change.

I guess I should look deeper into this app.... I dont do a whole lot of commertial and this is the first tme this request has come up...
    Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    A easy solution that we have done is an USB RF mouse, just plug and pray into any laptop. We use the interlink remotepoint RF. Just an idea in case you have some clients that are fussy about you loading software onto their computers.

This was my inital plan because of the above requirements... I just thought it would be cool to put it all on the same 16 Button for em.
  • It is a normal program installation, just like any other program you would download and install. The only hitch would be configuring the connection to the NetLinx master. This is a very easy thing to do, but it would require user interaction. Feel free to download and test the product. It is distributed freely.

Thanks,
    Robert Savage
  • How is the laptop and software linked to the netlinx? Their must be some sort of cable? Depending on the cable type(ie; 9 pin D connector) you might be asking for problems with clients trying to plug it into the VGA connector, just a thought.
  • It can be linked using and ethernet network or a serial cable.

Thanks,
    Robert Savage
    The Trailer is oing to have a DirectWay Internet connection (Or some other Satellite internet) so I can easily add a Network port for the Laptop to the Rack. I think Iwould be afraid with a Standard serial port as I imagine many of these laptops would have Palm or PocketPC software loaded on them as well.
  • I agree, plus many new laptops don't come with a serial port anymore :(

Thanks,
    Robert
  • Robert,

Is the RS232 control option a recent addition? I don't remember that as an option before. Also, is i!-PresentationControl functional through RS232 as well?

Thanks,

--D
  • Yes, somewhat recent in the last year and a half or so. It was released as of version 2.0 with serial connection capability.

As for i!-PresentationControl, in runtime yes it utilizes the same connection as i!-PCLinkPowerPoint. However, in design time to get the i!-ConnectLinx XML file from the master which exposes the system's function list it can only use a network based connection. (or you can manually FTP and retrieve the i!-ConnectLinx XML file then copy the file to the target computer using i!-PresentationControl in design mode. It just uses this file to list the system's exposed functionality.)

Thanks,
    Robert