Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

The ultimate icon font, 1200 icons easily referenced in TP4 with ligatures.

Hi guys,

Thought I would share the icon font project that I am in the final stages of working on.I have created a font that includes 1200 ios7 style line icons. Each icon is an easily referenced, vector icon that can be scaled and coloured within TPD4.

For example:If the text within a button is “__hdmi” an HDMI Icon appears in TP4.
(the ligature “__hdmi” references the HDMI Icon.)

After that hit return and type in your button label. (if required)

Screenshot below.

Have used this approach on a couple of projects and boy does it save time. (and looks great too)

-I only have to deal with resource manager for backgrounds
-No dealing with (or being burnt by) icon slots
-No layering up of buttons bitmaps or text
-Tp4 runs a whole lot faster and is more stable
-Downloads to panels are fast
-Last minute client changes are easy to facilitate
-The font contains all of your normal alpha numeric characters (the icons are in the private use area of the font)
-The TP file is easy for anyone in the company to work on without having to use 3rd party programs to edit bitmaps.

A pdf with all of the icons and references can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uadsaggy6atiqh4/User%20Interface%20Demo.pdf

Let me know if you guys have any comments or suggestions :)

Tested in X-series and an ipad so far,

Will make it available for download soon :)

Comments

• travtrav Posts: 188
    <3

Can I hug you?

Or PM me a bottle shop near you and I will buy you some beverages of your choice for you to pickup
  • Love it!!!

Wants it!!! :)
  • trav wrote: »
    Can I hug you?

Or PM me a bottle shop near you and I will buy you some beverages of your choice for you to pickup

Im on the other side of the world to you so sorry trav a hug is un-likely haha.

As for the beverages, no need to worry. The font will be available for download soon with pricing along the lines of a couple of beverages at the local bottle shop.

This is mostly to pay for licensing of a few of the icons that I have used within the font.Besides it took a lot of time and effort to get ALL the icons centred, referenced, and make the Alpha numeric characters smaller. After that it was a lot of tweaking to get it to play nice with TPD4.

As i mentioned earlier it saves a lot of time and frustration.

If theres enough interest in the font then I might look to expand to different styles of icons.

I may even release some TP templates too.

Initially I probably will release some in the same style as the Red Bull panels I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBr8lM35zQ0

Any thoughts, ideas or feedback on any of the above would be much appreciated

Issues I’ve found so far,

PPF.XML has to be modified to get the ligature references to show up when working on TP Control Touch Panel files in TPD4.

Will either get AMX *holds breath* :) or see if TP control can resolve this one before I release the font.
    NZ isn't very far from Australia
  • trav wrote: »
    NZ isn't very far from Australia

Your in Aussie!? ,I must have read someone else's profile! :)
    Tell your boss to stop playing so much golf!

And give nagle a kick in the nutts, from me :P
  • ijedijed Posts: 28
    I wish my touchpanels had a coffee button :(

I don't understand how this works but I'm guessing some sort of magical elves are involved somewhere.... why haven't I seen this used before?

Would this work with dynamic text commands as well?

That's great work - some great icons. Noticed a few spelling mistakes likes humburger, mashroom, and also if you're a kiwi then __flip_flops should be __jandles :)
  • ijed wrote: »
    I wish my touchpanels had a coffee button :(

I don't understand how this works but I'm guessing some sort of magical elves are involved somewhere.... why haven't I seen this used before?

Would this work with dynamic text commands as well?

That's great work - some great icons. Noticed a few spelling mistakes likes humburger, mashroom, and also if you're a kiwi then __flip_flops should be __jandles :)

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated :) Yep it works great with dynamic text commands!

Ligatures have traditionaly been used in fonts where two specific characters are joined. So in the example below the individual characters “T” and “H” are typed in next to each other the font references a character where the “’T" and “H” are joined together. This font works in the same way except that “__hdmi” references an icon character.

Im not sure why this approach it hasn’t been widely used in areas other than web design. I guess people haven’t gone to the extent of using a font this way in other UI toolkits because their UI toolkits aren't as err lacking as TP Design is.
  • nice nice nice.

very good my friend!
  • Justin, it is really cool for designing the TP4. when can we enjoy the fonts ??
    Hi guys,

Thought I would share the icon font project that I am in the final stages of working on.I have created a font that includes 1200 ios7 style line icons. Each icon is an easily referenced, vector icon that can be scaled and coloured within TPD4.

For example:If the text within a button is “__hdmi” an HDMI Icon appears in TP4.

Screenshot below.

Have used this approach on a couple of projects and boy does it save time. (and looks great too)

-The font contains all of your normal alpha numeric characters (the icons are in the private use area of the font)
    -The TP file is easy for anyone in the company to work on without having to use 3rd party programs to edit bitmaps.

A pdf with all of the icons and references can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uadsaggy6atiqh4/User%20Interface%20Demo.pdf

Justin, it is really cool for designing the TP4. when can we enjoy the fonts ??
  • Hi guys,

Screenshot below.

Justin, it is really cool for designing the TP4. when can we enjoy the fonts ??
  • Hi Guys,

Have been quite busy lately and haven’t had a lot of time to spend on the font project. If anyone would like the font, email me: [email protected] :-)
  • Team,

this font looks very promising and I would like to try it. I sent e-mail with request to Justin the other day, but no reply...
    Is anyone else ready to share this font?

Thank you.
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    Thanks Justin - tried to download the original link from your first post and it doesn't exist any longer?
  • cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    Bump...

I'd like to have this too!
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    .. and me!
  • I would also like to see this.
  • zhujy09zhujy09 Posts: 16
    .. and me!
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    I don't recall this even being released, all I got from the initial posting was a PDF with all of the images but no font file at all.

I have moved on to using the free icons from the Google team here: https://github.com/google/material-design-icons

• AvargasAvargas Posts: 57
    Dear all,

I'm preparing an alternative, with less icons but more oriented to our business (Justin did an excellent work, but 90% of the icons were useless IMO), I'm preparing also a good reference document to quick add the icons, etc.

Stay tuned. ;)

• Awesome, thanks!