Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Windows 10?

Has anyone tried AMX software with the Windows 10 preview yet?

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Outside of work, I had tested it a while back and everything (TPD4, TPD5, NSX, etc.) installed and ran. This is by no means an "official" answer, but more in passing that I didn't have to do anything special (to my recollection) to get the major programs installed & running.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'd still be running Win 7 if I hadn't needed to get a new laptop and only 8 was available. I don't upgrade anymore unless I must. I lost several programs I use all the time when I moved to 8, and I had to clean up an old desktop PC to lug around when I need them. There is this idea developers have that you will just update everything, no matter the cost, and it simply doesn't work that way in the real world. Convince a customer that their lighting system, that they have owned for 15 years, and paid $20K for, but works just fine, needs to be updated because your computer can't run the program anymore to adjust it? Not going to happen.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    No problems at all (except that I had to turn Windows firewall back off for USB LAN, but that's not really a Win 10 thing). Windows 10 is a major step up from Win 8, IMO. The upgrade was completely painless too, though it did take a long time. Plan at least an hour.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I also haven't had any real issue going from 8 -> 10 or 7 -> 10.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I went from 7 to 10 on several machines, I'm back to 7 on my main one. I hate the daily crashes I get from the video driver issues that aren't yet settled. And the windows open slowly and file windows open, then blink out, then reappear when drilling down. I can wait.

But on point here, the AMX stuff, other than IREDIT, was generally as happy as usual.

IREDIT on WIN10/64 does what it does on WIN7/64, that is, you can't cut and paste without crashing. I find it works fine on 32 bit WIN7 and likely would on WIN10.

For now, though WIN7 is faster and smoother than WIN10. Both are preferable to 8.x.
  • KariKari Posts: 13
    My computer is repeat crashing every time I open up Netlinx Keywords Help after I start typing in the Index search bar with Windows 10. I guess no help for me! Has anyone else had this happen?
  • had issues with IREdit, but the rest was fine
  • tdewildtdewild Posts: 49
    NetLinx Studio 4 version 4.3.1519 on Windows 10 x64 crashed when try to open Help\NetLinx Keywords Help.
    Solution: place a shortcut on your desktop "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMX Control Disc\NetLinx Studio 4\NetLinx-Keywords.chm"
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    They'll pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands. I've noticed there's an inverse Moore's Law with windows OS. As time goes by, I have to wait more and more versions to upgrade until they finally land on a stable version.

The test machines I try 10 on all have one issue or another. So, just like 7, I'll wait for 10 SP 3.