Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum
Options

AT&T Uverse Routers and Port 1319

I have a client with a AT&T Uverse NVG589 Gateway. My attempts to open pro 1319 resulted in me crashing their router and an AT&T Service Call to restore the gateway. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to open port 1319 on their gateway?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I never use an ISP's router on a job that needs remote access and every AMX job does. I'd bridge their modem and get your own router if I were you.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I would not recommend opening port 1319 to the outside world at all. You should install a VPN
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I would not recommend opening port 1319 to the outside world at all. You should install a VPN
    While I completely agree and also always install a VPN capable router I find that in resi with iThings running TPC the clients hate (when remote) the added step of going to settings and opening the VPN so I capitulate and will provide the forwarding with a decent user/password. In any situation other than remote mobile devices I would always insist on VPN since it's easy enough to set up a permanent gateway - gateway or client - gateway maintained connection or even on a desktop it's quick and easy to do on demand but with mobile devices and impatient clients it's kind of a PITA. Now if TPC and AMX provided a strong encryption key portal like some other apps do that would be much better but alas none of this gear is intended for the resi market mobile needs. :) Corporate doesn't need and wouldn't permit remote access for such devices.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    While I completely agree and also always install a VPN capable router I find that in resi with iThings running TPC the clients hate (when remote) the added step of going to settings and opening the VPN so I capitulate and will provide the forwarding with a decent user/password. In any situation other than remote mobile devices I would always insist on VPN since it's easy enough to set up a permanent gateway - gateway or client - gateway maintained connection or even on a desktop it's quick and easy to do on demand but with mobile devices and impatient clients it's kind of a PITA. Now if TPC and AMX provided a strong encryption key portal like some other apps do that would be much better but alas none of this gear is intended for the resi market mobile needs. :) Corporate doesn't need and wouldn't permit remote access for such devices.

Yes, I ran into the same issue when doing Resi several years back. I've always felt that having everything on the AMX side coming in one port was a weakness in the design concept. I wished there was a way to bring devices in on one port and the programming interface on another would solve so many problems. It is what it is...