Home AMX User Forum AMX Resource Management Suite Software

Transfer Aborted - Insufficient memory to complete transfer

I was able to upload files to my controller just fine last week, with 7 rooms connected to it. Today, I connected 6 more SDX's, 7 more touchpanels, and 2 more DX-RX units. When I tried to upload to my controller - exact same code just changed a couple flags for room status - I now get this "Insufficient Memory" problem when trying to transfer. Tomorrow I will disconnect all the other devices again, and try to upload again, but it looks like the RMS modules trying to handle so many devices in one controller is eating up all the controller memory. Reference the "only one thing" discussion point.

So, at this point, the RMS SDK has completely failed me. Time to get going on an Eric Medley I guess. Not what I wanted to have to do. Dang.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Could try clean disc or tranferring an empty program before sending the updated program otherwise you need 2 x + the program file size available on the master, for the runniing file and new program file to exist at the same time until the new file completely loads and erases the old file. Could also try reducing the duet mem allocation.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Also, did you try sending the program up again without the duet files? (just the netlinx part?)
  • bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    I had this happen on a new NX-3200. Turns out the memory card was defective.
  • Thanks for the suggestions; I've had to play round-robin with a few other problems this AM so I haven't gotten back to this yet. Will report back as soon as I know something, or have what I think might be semi-intelligent questions to ask.
  • First Report: The "PROG.tkn" file always uploads successfully. All other file uploads fail. The controller does not reboot after the file upload.

Rebooting the controller seems to have no effect on anything.
    Disconnecting all extra / new devices and rebooting the controller does not clear the insufficient memory problem. Still only uploads PROG.tkn and fails everything else as insufficient memory.

Um... uploading without the duet files? Sorry this may not be an intelligent question, but my brain is dead meat here; how do I do that? I've actually been kinda perplexed about this issue, I've got 2 systems with nearly identical RMS module and include files. One of them (this one) uploads all the duet stuff; the other one does not. What am I missing in terms of system configuration that allows me to control that?
    First Report: The "PROG.tkn" file always uploads successfully. All other file uploads fail. The controller does not reboot after the file upload.

Rebooting the controller seems to have no effect on anything.
    Disconnecting all extra / new devices and rebooting the controller does not clear the insufficient memory problem. Still only uploads PROG.tkn and fails everything else as insufficient memory.

Um... uploading without the duet files? Sorry this may not be an intelligent question, but my brain is dead meat here; how do I do that? I've actually been kinda perplexed about this issue, I've got 2 systems with nearly identical RMS module and include files. One of them (this one) uploads all the duet stuff; the other one does not. What am I missing in terms of system configuration that allows me to control that?

No worries!

In the File Transfer window... Right-click over the file(s) you're sending to your master and select the "Options" menu item. when there check the "Don't send Duet Files" option. That way it won't needlessly resend all the .jar files and all that. You do have to remember to re-send if you do make any changes to the duet side.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    Don't forget that this option is only available in Studio, it's not an option for FT2 for some reason so it's a pain if using FT2 ot deploy code to an entire building worth of masters.

Also, it's only worth doing if you know that the Jar's and Duet files that are compiled are the same as what is already in the system. There is no version check at all when doing this type of transfer.
  • Code loaded fine on a new blank controller so far this AM. Unfortunately, when I right-click on the files in the transfer window, the "Options" menu is greyed out, I can't select it. I'm currently running NS version 4.1.1251.

Working to re-configure the devices to the new controller now.

Thanks,
    Code loaded fine on a new blank controller so far this AM. Unfortunately, when I right-click on the files in the transfer window, the "Options" menu is greyed out, I can't select it. I'm currently running NS version 4.1.1251.

Working to re-configure the devices to the new controller now.

Thanks,
    When it's grayed out - it means there's no duet/.jar files in the project. this makes no sense if you're doing RMS since the RMS Adaptor is a .jar file./duet module. Weird...
  • Yeah, it gets even stranger. Now I have two nearly identically programmed controllers (the only thing different between the two are status flags for whether rooms and devices are online or not); one of them executes master ONLINE event code, the other does not. See my post in the Netlinx Studio sub-forum. I'm getting *really* frustrated with this stuff.
  • I'm using the non-duet versions of the SDK files. The netlinx vs. duet distinction seems mortally confusing to me, but I followed the instructions for implementing the netlinx version and I've got other controllers handling just one room working OK with them.
  • Latest update: I've now gotten the 3rd controller up and running, and have successfully moved all 14 of my rooms to it, without any apparent problems. It's been running fine since Thursday evening and I can still upload code changes to the controller.

So, looks like two bad NX-3200's in a row for me. Talk about shattering my faith in the reliability of AMX/Harmon hardware...
  • One last update: When AMX found out what happened to me, they seemed pretty genuinely mortified.

To be clear, I didn't call them for help at the time, and I don't think calling them would have sped up resolution in any significant manner. I had more controllers, and throwing controllers at the problems first is a very effective strategy. I can't imagine a tech call wouldn't have eventually ended in trying another controller anyway. If the 3rd controller hadn't worked, I would have called. The way it played out turned out to be, "OK guys I'm up and running again now, but let me tell you what just happened to me..."

But back to the story, AMX/Harman peeps response seems pretty genuine, aggressive, and greatly appreciated from this end of the spectrum.
  • RMSDevRMSDev Posts: 7
    This post is a bit old now, but I wanted to follow up in case anyone was curious about the NetLinx vs Duet monitoring modules. To keep it simple - if you're using a Duet module as a device driver, you should use the RMS monitoring modules that begin with "Duet". If you're using a NetLinx based device driver, you should use the RMS monitoring modules that begin with "NetLinx". The RMS NetLinx monitoring modules were built to help with RMS registration of devices that did not have Duet module device drivers. I hope this helps.
  • after "clean disk" also run "clear audit"
    I had almost no disk memory left on "show mem" - as audit logs were filling it. "clean disk" does NOT clear the audit stuff !!
    After running both commands - I had tons of disk memory available ....

• Hi,

Im facing same problem of failure while transferring an updated config to NI-3100. Which is holding one currenlty. I am not sure if it is because if memory issue, so putting below the memory occupation status got using console command "Display Memory"

Volatile Free : 20928160/67108864 (largest free block in bytes/max physical)
    NonVolatile Free: 980550/1047536 (bytes free/max physical)
    Disk Free :239079424/256622592 (bytes of free space/max physical)
    Duet Memory Free :13513384/20971520 (bytes free/max physical)

I believe none of the above segments are full. still its not accepting any updated config. Can anyone put light on this if I am missing anything pls?

• @James Dearden said:
    after "clean disk" also run "clear audit"
    I had almost no disk memory left on "show mem" - as audit logs were filling it. "clean disk" does NOT clear the audit stuff !!
    After running both commands - I had tons of disk memory available ....

I tried to use "clear audit" but it says invalid command. So I also tried "clean audit". But its also wrong. Im using NI3100. please suggest if im missing on anything? firmware is updated for both master and device

• HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 597

I do not believe the clear audit command is valid for NI series controllers.