Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Why I hate this new forum!

It been a while since we've had to deal with this new forum and it's still slow and still sucks. New Posts don't appear when you select the "Today's Post" tab and new posts don't often appear when selecting the "New Topics" tabs. My normal procedure in open the forum and go straight to "Today's Posts" where I often don't see anything new and when I go back to the "Forums" page and look at the "Latest Topics" box I see posts that don't appear in the Today's Post or New Topic sections. I've only complained a dozen times about this since the change over and nothing is ever corrected. I know it's probably not worth fixing for five or so active forum members left in this once robust forum but this is in part a reason this place is slowly fading away into obscurity.

I'm also always having to log in all the time, if I use one browser and then another or maybe it's when I use my mobile phone, then my iPad, laptop or desktop but it's freakin' annoying and I don't recall any of these issues with the last forum.

Comments

• I've taken to hitting Advanced Search and searching by date range, but there are usually only 4 or 5 posts a day. All the same, it would be nice to have a one-click to show posts sorted by post date, newest first (regardless of whether they were "today" or not). I know vBulletin can do this, because the other guys use it for their Labs forum.

Which, by the way ... Hi, I'm new here.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Its become a sad little forum. Slowest forum I've ever used, and it doesn't seem like its going to ever get better. Someone should host a proper forum similar to the one that used to be here. I wonder if the speed has anything to do with this:
    Web server Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    Paul
  • I agree. Traffic here has dropped considerably which I believe is related to the sluggish performance and what I still think is a very poor search function. Instead of coming here every day it is more like once per week since the response is so bad because there are fewer posts. They must be using a dial-up internet connection.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The patient is still twitching, but Harman has them in the grave and is starting to throw dirt on them ...
  • I think the "deadness" of the forum has a lot more to do with the fact that a lot of smaller integrators have been chased away, than the operation of the forum itself. Only the handful of larger accounts remain AMX dealers, to access this forum.

And yeah, what everyone else says about the clunkiness.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    a lot of smaller integrators have been chased away
    ​Exactly!
    I don't blame the market shift either cuz AMX could sell almost as easily as C4 does with smarter decisions being made by the leaders of AMX.
    Ok so yesterday I found this post:
    http://www.amxforums.com/forum/technical-forum/netlinx-studio/121697-oppo-bdp-103-power-state-listener
    I don't recall where but I'm sure it wasn't under the "today's post" tab and I responded. The response wasn't in the today's post tab either and then I noticed it wasn't in the new post section so I don't know how I originally found it. Since it doesn't appear where it should, where I normally look, I have to rely on email notifications to know of a response. I logged in and yes I had to log in once again and still that topic doesn't appear in either location so now I've trained myself to click on my user name in order to view my recent posts in order to find this thread. No wonder we're loosing the race, we can't even get a forum to function properly. Some control systems experts. :(
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Can somebody please fix this forum? Why does it take so long to login or logoff or view a post or do any kind of movement here? Ever since the Harman footer was added this forum just hangs and can take several minutes just to respond to one page flip.

It doesn't matter what browser I use (I've tried everything except IE) or if I use a PC or a MAC, the results are the same. Dreadfully painfully slow. I'm shocked when I click on a link and it actually takes me there immediately. It's a rare occurrence.

It's not my connection because every other forum and web site I visit responds quickly. Actually I can switch tabs on my browser to login and read other forums and logout while I waiting for the AMX forum just to respond to my login request or page flip request.

I know this is tumbleweed town but for those of us that have stuck around it sure would be nice if something as basic as logging in and clicking on a link to read a post actually worked. This forum was great for long time but whatever happened to it when Harman took over absolutely killed it. Crushed it.

This forum was/is a great resource with years of history. Can we have it back please?

Thanks,
  • Agree, its ridiculously slow sometimes (most times).
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Can somebody please fix this forum? Why does it take so long to login or logoff or view a post or do any kind of movement here? Ever since the Harman footer was added this forum just hangs and can take several minutes just to respond to one page flip.

It doesn't matter what browser I use (I've tried everything except IE) or if I use a PC or a MAC, the results are the same. Dreadfully painfully slow. I'm shocked when I click on a link and it actually takes me there immediately. It's a rare occurrence.

It's not my connection because every other forum and web site I visit responds quickly. Actually I can switch tabs on my browser to login and read other forums and logout while I waiting for the AMX forum just to respond to my login request or page flip request.

I know this is tumbleweed town but for those of us that have stuck around it sure would be nice if something as basic as logging in and clicking on a link to read a post actually worked. This forum was great for long time but whatever happened to it when Harman took over absolutely killed it. Crushed it.

This forum was/is a great resource with years of history. Can we have it back please?

Thanks,
    I still like to check the forum when I wake up, old habits... I grab the iPad launch the forum, usually 5:30-6:00 and it just times out like the servers are still off for the night. I doubt they shut them down but what is it? After a while you learn not to even try so I now do otherthing when I wake. It's all very sad to think what was and now what is.
  • Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Can somebody please fix this forum?

Of course they can, but they obviously won't. It's ridiculous to even think that a company like Harman / AMX wouldn't be able to improve on this piece of junk after such a long time. By now I think we have to assume that they really, really don't care. Wouldn't surprise me that after a while the entire forum will be shut down 'due to a lack of contributors / visitors'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    You should notice a marked improvement in the forum speed after the maintenance last night. See the other thread for updates.
    Thanks
    You should notice a marked improvement in the forum speed after the maintenance last night. See the other thread for updates.
    Thanks
    Seems pretty normal now. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.