Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums
Options

Mark Channels Read never completes

After I do a cleanup on my browser I come back into the forum and everything is marked as new. I've been trying the Mark Channels Read function to let me see only the new posts next time I log in. It just hangs up forever.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    What browser are you using?
  • Options
    I'm using Chrome.
  • Options
    Can you tell me the steps to reproduce this? I tried on a fresh chrome download and mark channels read processes right away?

• Options
    Unfortunately, I can't make it happen without trashing other things. Also, if I log onto the site using IE 11 and do the mark all as read things work perfectly. I believe that I told Chrome to do a clean up (clear browsing data) because all of the 8 shortcuts on the bottom of the main Google screen disappear (and slowly rebuild as I visit my favorites) and sites with lists such as the Astronomy picture of the day site also all show up as not being selected. Once I do this Chrome can't do the mark all read without hanging up. I left it going for over an hour at one point. As soon as you asked me about the browser I went into IE and tried it. After about 3 seconds everything was cleared. Then when I go back into the site with Chrome it all looks normal again.

Chrome has some other quirks as well with other sites too. Particularly with filling in forms and such. I just use it because it seems faster than IE and I didn't want to use the Edge browser or whatever the IE replacement is called since things like my Norton vault don't work with it.

I'm using Windows 10 and a version of Chrome that had my IE shortcuts imported, has several add-on items, and has gone through several Chrome updates. This may be why you could not reproduce the problem.

Anyway, IE solved the problem and lets me keep using Chrome as my browser.

Thanks for asking the question that triggered my fix!

Danny

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Just out of curiosity - Do you use the "New Topics" tab usually at the upper left of the window? That's what I do. I will bring up the posts I haven't read yet. Admittedly, I don't really pay much attention to the various divisions the forum is set up. Traffic is low enough that I'm not needing to divide things up into categories. If I post something I do usually try to place it in the correct category, but even then, if it's of a somewhat general nature, or if it's something that effects us all I tend to put it in the 'General Discussion; section so everyone can see it.
  • Options
    MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    I usually hit the todays post everyday to see any activity which usually works. However sometimes I notice it doesnt catch everything, like last week there was a post in an existing thread that didnt show up in todays posts but when I hit new topics it showed up.
  • Options
    I have used both of those methods, but I still kind of old school and prefer to scan the entire forum and poke into the sections that interest me. Then I will typically mark everything as read so the areas that I'm not really interested in drop the flags.
  • Options
    Thank you for the information, we are regularly updating the code now after resolving many of the previous issues with vBulletin that were causing many issues, and preventing us from upgrading to the latest code.