Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Power ON and Power OFF functions for VHS Player

Yeah, yeah, I know...stop spending time on a VHS player. I can create a workaround with some written instructions, but this has become a challenge. I am hoping to read some interesting methods from "back in the day."
I am looking for additional methods of controlling power ON and OFF for a VHS player (Panasonic AG2570).
The 2570 does not deliver a video signal if no tape is inserted, so my VSS logic won't work here.
Pulsing Play (1) doesn't power up the 2570.
Pulsing Power (9) powers the device on and off.
Since Play doesn't power it up, I can't Play, Stop, then Power Off to do a shutdown (regardless of power state of 2570).
I don't want to move it to switched power, or the user won't be able to retrieve a tape after system shutdown.
Additional notes: I don't have the handheld IR remote. The manual talks about a blue screen (which might provide a video signal with no tape inserted), but when I open the menu (via NS Control A Device), I can't arrow up or down to the "Option" line which would allow me to enable the blue screen. Perhaps I have the wrong .irl file, but it works (at least partially). The .irl file I am using came from the AMX website. It was listed under the remote, not the 2570.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I don't think anyone here will pick on you for having to deal with a VCR. I still have one university client that has a room with a Laser Disc player. It's one of those deals that they teach an enitre course in Bio Med that they use it and nothing else will do. I don't get into t fight with them about it as it is a problem that will some day solve itself. They have a stash of two more players sitting in the wings. when they finally bite the dust, they'll be forced to move on. But enough of my old-guy story telling...

The reason I'm posting is to say the VCR might be a good candidate for a power sensor. They still drew enough power to be pretty reliably on or off. The newer DVD/BluRay players drew so little power that getting the sensor tweaked was actually a bit of a challenge. But, those old motors and LED panels back then were a lot more power hungry. I'm sure you can still find them on ebay.

Using one you could rely on the power toggle IR command better. This assumes, of course, you cannot find power discrete commands.
  • zasadatzasadat Posts: 25
    Mush and Eric: Thank you for your quick responses.
    I don't have a power sensor, but the idea sent me back to the manual for the AMX VSS2. The VSS2 will sense audio. I routed audio through the VSS2. It only showed a signal when I was playing a tape, so it was not a solution, but still interesting. The LED on the VSS2 flickered as the audio signal fluctuated.
    I managed to get IREdit installed on my Windows 10 laptop, added discrete Power ON and Power OFF functions using the code found on Mush's second link. Works like a champ!
    To install IREdit on Windows 10, I needed the IREditSystemFiles and IREditSetup application files from AMX. The system files need to be installed first. To install these old applications...
    1. Right-click on the executable file > Troubleshoot Compatibility (remember to install the system files first)
    2. Choose "Try recommended settings" (it suggested a Windows compatibility mode of Windows XP Service Pack 3)
    3. Click "Test the program..."
    4. A dialog will appear asking for admin permission...grant the permission
    5. The installation dialog will appear...follow the prompts
    6. After installation, choose to save the compatibility settings.
    7. Repeat the process with the IREditSetup executable file.
    8. Enjoy using IREdit
    9. Vow to never type the word "compatibility" again, as no matter how many times you do it, you keep second-guessing whether some of those "i"s should be "a"s
    10. Feel super proud about pulling a fast one on Windows.
    11. Get the sick feeling wondering how many other programs are now bricked...

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    IREDIT will still crash majestically on Win10 if you try to copy and paste command entries. Or try to edit the name of a command but decide not to... or a lot of other ways, especially with an IRIS, especially with 64 bit Windows. But the bare essentials will work if you force the install as you did. I do keep a WINXP laptop for serious IREDIT and capture.
  • tdewildtdewild Posts: 49
    I did this in the 90`s when it has only a IR power toggle command.

Solder a reed relay on pin-8 (+12Vdc) and pin 21 (chassis ground) in the VCR scart plug, connect the switch contact of the reed relay to a Axcess/Netlinx I/O port and there is your power ON/OFF status.
    Use your I/O feedback on the touchscreen VCR power ON/OFF button.

Pin 8, the switch signal pin, carries a DC voltage from the source that indicates the type of video present.
    0 V?2 V means no signal, or internal bypass
    4.5 V?7 V (nominal 6 V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal
    9.5 V?12 V (nominal 12 V) means a normal (4:3) signal

And if u use a projector, solder a relay inside on the cooling fan power connector, a perfect status indication during power ON/OFF and cooling.

The good old day`s ;)

What brand/model. Perhaps someone here has discretes for it.
  • zasadatzasadat Posts: 25
    Panasonic AG2570. The link from Mush's note (above) contained discrete on and off commands that worked with this VHS.
    zasadat wrote: »
    Panasonic AG2570. The link from Mush's note (above) contained discrete on and off commands that worked with this VHS.

Awesome! And good on ya Mush!