Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Using Cafe Duet for HTTPS or HTTP with authentication

Hi:

We see more and more devices with HTTP or HTTPs control and in many cases auth is required. I was planning to create an "universal translator" to be installed on a PC to work as a bridge between both worlds but then I remembered about Cafe Duet being Java that has already those native functions.

Am I crazy? Is something worth to try? what do you guys think?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Avargas wrote: »
    Hi:

We see more and more devices with HTTP or HTTPs control and in many cases auth is required. I was planning to create an "universal translator" to be installed on a PC to work as a bridge between both worlds but then I remembered about Cafe Duet being Java that has already those native functions.

Am I crazy? Is something worth to try? what do you guys think?

the answer is 'it depends' The first and fastest way to suss out whether or not to use it probably comes down to the fact that Cafe Duet's develpment environment is a) running on an old out-moded version of JAVA and b) whether or not that same-said version supports the features you're planning on using and then c) whether the cost of if is worth the trouble and finally d) the fact that the new NX processors and their under-the-hood stuff will more than likely make all this stuff obsolete.

I'm never a fan of creating a go-between box if I can avoid it. I'm also not a fan of managing more than one point of failure if I can avoid it. But, that's just me. Some folks relish the day they can have 5-10 apps running to get one job done. Sarcasm aside, I'd say that if you're asking this question then you're answer is probably 'no' Unless you are dead sure you can get done what you want, then I'd avoid it. Bear in mind there is almost zero support and documentation for Duet. You are literally on your own if you choose to go down that road.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Is the TLS connection that got added not sufficient?
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    MLaletas wrote: »
    Is the TLS connection that got added not sufficient?

It is for basic HTTPS requests. However for advanced authentication mechanisms like OAuth, etc, you would need something more.