Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Ayre KX-R Twenty control

Dear All
has anyone of you ever controlled an Ayre KX-R Twenty amplifier ? I have the RC5 IR codes from Ayre but some of them - especially the discrete power on and off - do not work . I 'm using the attached RC5 to HEX converter and I have already made some of the ayre codes to work ( but not the powers ). I really don't know what is going wrong: So :

1. Anyone who has already made these code to work ?
2. Attached you can find the Ayre codes and the RCtoHEX converter. How would you use it to convert the RC5 codes ? Which parameters should be set up ? Some codes work with specific parameters configuration but with the same ones the discrete power on and off do not !!! Could anyone suggest something ? Have you been using another RC5toHEX converter ?

Thanks,
George

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    George,
    I haven't done one myself. However, I gave their manual a quick glance and I would think one could pretty easily reverse-engineer something using the AyreLink port pretty easily. It's a 4-conductor RJ-11 and is probably some kind of RS422 or 485 serial buss. it has 2 pins for RX and 2 for TX. Plus each device must have a unique address. and it's daisy-chain-able (is that a word?) This would strongly suggest at least some kind of ring-buss serial connection.

So, it might be a pretty simple task to use a volt meter to figure which pins were plus or minus, and then hook it up to see if you can see the comm going and at what baud rate, etc...

once you have that you could then just operate the box since it sends out commands when you change things and reverse engineer it.

If it were human-readable text, it would probably be super easy. If it were hex, then it might be a bit tougher.

But, if you have some time and are a 'curious' type, it might be a fun little project.

I know for me, 'fun little projects' are about 12 down my list of things to get done.
  • Options
    Oh, I also noticed in the manual they do have a copule conductors on the AyerLink for contact closure to put the unit in standby or on. A simple relay may be all you need to manage the power.
  • Options
    Hello ericmedley,
    thanks for your suggestions. Ayre factory informed us that there is an RS232 adapter which converts ASCII commands to AyreLink ones. Waiting to see any details...

Thanks,
    George
  • Options
    Hello ericmedley,
    thanks for your suggestions. Ayre factory informed us that there is an RS232 adapter which converts ASCII commands to AyreLink ones. Waiting to see any details...

Thanks,
    George

Well, that's pretty handy. Cool!