Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Control RTI XP processors from AMX

I am inheriting a job that has 5 RTI processors setup up as local masters to control the local A/V equipment. We have AMX controlling the house wide sub-systems (Lighting, Pool, Alarm, Shades, etc). I would like to send a command/string from AMX to the RTI processors via IP as the RS-232 runs are to long, to shut of the 5 local A/V system from an AMX button push. I've successfully done the opposite, use RTI remotes to control AMX via RS-232, but now I need the opposite AMX to control RTI via IP. Any code samples, modules or suggestions for this? Thanks!

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Don't count RS232 out for distance, there are many serial-via-IP adapters available, including ones from AMX.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I have wiring in place to cover all the 5 RTI XP processors for RS-232. The house is huge. Since I am just calling one macro per room, the best solution would be to send a string from AMX via IP (TCP or UDP) to each RTI processor to call the local RTI system OFF macro.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Never tried this but what you could test is use the two way string driver on the rti side, pick your TCP/UDP port and your "protocol". Set up the opposite on the AMX side and I assume that could work.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I have wiring in place to cover all the 5 RTI XP processors for RS-232. The house is huge. Since I am just calling one macro per room, the best solution would be to send a string from AMX via IP (TCP or UDP) to each RTI processor to call the local RTI system OFF macro.

What wiring do you think you need beyond the IP you already plan to use? The adapters sit AT THE DESTINATION POINT BY THE RTI's on the IP network (even WIFI), and are sent commands from the NetLinx via IP, which they then locally translate out a RS232 port. They even work over the internet, so you can control a serial device in Argentina from New Zealand. I bet your house isn't that huge.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    There's a HTTP event driver on the RTI forum, simple HTTP post command from AMX triggers a macro or event on RTI. Let me know if you don't have access.

Kevin D.