Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Streaming Audio Yet...

Not to beat a dead horse but what's going on with streaming music servers and AMX?
Anyone...anyone...
(Looking more for Sonos integration...not Autonomic).

Comments

• Interesting....I will look into. Didn't think ReQuest was still around. Thanks for the input!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Just in way of updating (and another great opportunity to complain)... a few years back I wrote a control module for the Autonomics for Spire_Jeff that addressed the Autonomics written module only being able to contro/monitor one zone at a time. Mine did all zones simultaneously. It worked like a champ for about a year until Autonomics did a big firmware update. In that firmware update they broke the 3rd party control API sp that when streaming audio it would forget to update the 3rd party that the track had changed and here's the new metadata and so forth. The result is your YI appears to be stuck on a song and the track time is running negative time. This is annoying but not fatal. But what is fatal is when it gets in this mode the 3rd party API no longer responds to transport commands.

i just tested this and it's still broke. Their web interface works fine.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    We rolled our own multi-zone/multi panel control for Autonomic too. Worked great for a year, then they started altering the rules, requiring arbitrary new dialogs to clarify your intent in Pandora, then changed the drill routine in Spotify, then broke spotify entirely, each time telling us essentially that their web interface works, so too bad. We gave up on it. Still selling REQUEST products though, Not that they are without challenges... their streaming support has no command extensions, so there's no way into that other than a blind "top, down, down down, enter, down, enter enter" and hope you end up in the right spot. Oh, and they ended their Spotify support too. AND have new issues with changes at APPLE that broke their iTunes integration. Silos win again.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I did one for the Logitech Media Server which hasn't been supported for years, converted the CLI code to JSON with CometD when they started adhering to the Perl randomization BS and it worked great. It would even do an AB loop on streaming sources in case you were trying to nail down some guitar riffs. It probably still works but I don't have a functioning server anymore so I don't bother. Don't really deal with AMX anymore either so what's the point. I'd like to do a HEOS module but why, that's what AMX should be doing for their dealers. They should do something for them, shouldn't they other than drive them away?
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    vining wrote: »
    what AMX should be doing for their dealers. They should do something for them, shouldn't they other than drive them away?

The fact that there has been no new remote since the MIO-R4, speaks volumes. Oh, for a laugh, click on tech notes and then recent ;)

troberts wrote: »

The fact that there has been no new remote since the MIO-R4, speaks volumes. Oh, for a laugh, click on tech notes and then recent ;)

Yeah I know and that's needed for all markets not just resi, from what was posted recently you can forget anout getting a new one too. If I were to consider spec' ing another AMX system I would try Joe Hebert RTI bridging module and use an RTI remote cuz the R4 just sucks. IMHO R4's are just marginally better than the MVP-5200i's that were pure garbage.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    the R4 just sucks.

Not seeing this. I've got many in use out there, and rarely get issues with them. Maybe years ago when the firmware had issues, but these days they work pretty well. What issues are you having?
    Paul
  • I have to agree about the R4. I've had problems with the captive tape coming off and had to send in for warranty repair. We all know that it's about time for something new...maybe something with Wi-Fi instead of zigbee.
    It's upsetting that I keep getting emails for the hydra port instead of something that all us resi dealers need...keep up with technology!
    Sadly it's easier to sell a g! system these days.
    On another note...how about the Lode for Sonos?
    Anyone have luck with that? Is there a module?
    Have a big project coming up and the streaming audio may make or break the AMX sell.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I'm trying to figure out what "captive tape" is on an R4.
  • It's inside. I believe it holds the touchscreen. That's what the repair note said anyway.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I have to agree about the R4. I've had problems with the captive tape coming off and had to send in for warranty repair. We all know that it's about time for something new...maybe something with Wi-Fi instead of zigbee.
    It's upsetting that I keep getting emails for the hydra port instead of something that all us resi dealers need...keep up with technology!
    Sadly it's easier to sell a g! system these days.
    On another note...how about the Lode for Sonos?
    Anyone have luck with that? Is there a module?
    Have a big project coming up and the streaming audio may make or break the AMX sell.

Wifi would be a mistake. No one wants a remote requiring large batteries that drain quickly. Not sure what you mean by captive tape coming off. I don't recall seeing any tape in my units when I've opened them up.

Something new would be great, but something new just for the sake of something new would also be a mistake. Universal hand held remotes are notoriously difficult to design.

There are various streaming solutions out there, HEOS, Fusion, or any Squeezebox compatible unit, and the Lode as you mention. But streaming services are a huge PITA for integrators and their customers since everything is in constant flux, and every stream requires a different protocol or security, so its a ton of work to keep it all straight, and the results are mediocre anyway. A lot of my customers just use Airplay and stream off their phone using an app.
    Paul
  • I also install g! systems and I have to say that their HR wifi remote is actually really nice. This is why I say if they can make a nice wifi remote why can't AMX?
    Also with that system, Sonos integrates pretty nicely. I know that the system is limited and that is ONE of the reason's why I'd rather sell AMX. But for some customers it just makes sense.

As for the tape I have it spelled wrong and re-reading it sounds like it was the fix and not that it exists in the remote to start. Either way...
    Here is the technician notes from the RMA:

"Customer's Error/Fault Description: screen works but buttons do not."
    "Technician's Notes: Re-aligned SW1 with kapton tape.(slipped off center) Also replaced faceplate. All functions tested ok."
    I also install g! systems and I have to say that their HR wifi remote is actually really nice. This is why I say if they can make a nice wifi remote why can't AMX?
    Also with that system, Sonos integrates pretty nicely. I know that the system is limited and that is ONE of the reason's why I'd rather sell AMX. But for some customers it just makes sense.

As for the tape I have it spelled wrong and re-reading it sounds like it was the fix and not that it exists in the remote to start. Either way...
    Here is the technician notes from the RMA:

"Customer's Error/Fault Description: screen works but buttons do not."
    "Technician's Notes: Re-aligned SW1 with kapton tape.(slipped off center) Also replaced faceplate. All functions tested ok."

Not a good remote for a family with kids, breaks easily, corners crack off, they just die,etc. The RTI wi-fi remotes are really nice and you can ise them on an AMX system, Joe Hebert wrote a bridging module but you need a RTI XP processor too so the remote talks directly to that and communicates to AMX. I haven't tried it since I've stopped waiting for AMX to make any effort to support their dealers and now sell systems that don't require me to work 80+ hours a week.
  • So is there an actual recommendation on a media server? I saw Request above and [USER="1623"]ericmedley[/USER] has mentioned the problems with Autonomics...
    jkranz286 wrote: »
    So is there an actual recommendation on a media server? I saw Request above and [USER="1623"]ericmedley[/USER] has mentioned the problems with Autonomics...
    Nothing as good as you can get with an app. Shit changes so quickly and there's no incentive to spend the time to maintain the code. Best bet is to use iPads or Droids and use the URL schema to launch apps and then return. The problem is when you need to perform functions from other sections of code. Two steps forward and three steps back.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Nothing as good as you can get with an app. **** changes so quickly and there's no incentive to spend the time to maintain the code. Best bet is to use iPads or Droids and use the URL schema to launch apps and then return. The problem is when you need to perform functions from other sections of code. Two steps forward and three steps back.

Sonos
    (And some words to make the post long enough)
  • I've been using Nuvo for a while. The module works well if you know the tricks. One trick is to be sure to name the dynamic image (cover art) for the TP port you are using (ie. zone11 for port 11). Between Airplay and Nuvo customers are relatively happy.