Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Renew DHCP command for Masters?

So, I know there is a telnet command to renew dhcp, but is this possible to do same thing through code? The idea is to perhaps add this for an "offline" event if our network takes a dive and masters no longer to respond when network is revived.
I know that there is a "reboot" command, but don't necessarily want to reboot if a system is in use, especially for the DVX systems.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yes you can telnet into the master via code and issue the command.
  • Options
    Im looking for an actual "send_command" that I can use if the Master is offline. For example I can do a reboot with (reboot 0:1:0) command in code. If no network, telnet is useless =(.
    Can you elaborate on what code you're using in netlinx?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Im looking for an actual "send_command" that I can use if the Master is offline. For example I can do a reboot with (reboot 0:1:0) command in code. If no network, telnet is useless =(.

I don't believe there is any command that does what you want. But - have your tried to telnet to address 127.0.0.1? (local host)
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368

Unfortunately I can't say if telnet works to the local host 127.0.0.1 if there's no active network. It's internal so it might but if the NIC is inactive maybe it won't. I do have code running that could test this but I have no motivation and my eyes are heavy. I think I posted a module in Mod Pedia called Ping_URL_Get so something like that I used to get the public IP and It could also telnet into the master to ping an IP address which could be easily modified to do what you want. The Get Public IP probably needs to be modified to use trade.amx.com instead of amx.com. I think that was changed after the Harmon purchase of AMX and I doubt I modified the module in mod pedia. I probably haven't modified all the system I have running that code either cuz at this point I feel like I'm maintaining dinosaurs that should just be allowed to die because there is no ecosystem for them any more.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    A long while back when I was doing mainly Resi work, I ran into an issue where NI-X000s would exhibit a behavior when they were plugged into a network using those cheap Linksys fifty buck routers you could buy at Best Buy. The master would seemingly fall off the network. You couldn't see it and it couldn't see the outside world. All the connections were good, the lights blinked, the router even showed a connection being hot. But, nothing could talk. What the client saw was all the touch panels were dead on their damn system.

In many cases of telling the client that these kinds of things only happened when a Linksys was present couldn't make them budge. So, the workaround was to programmatically reboot the master at some time in the wee hours of the morning. On those systems I rarely, if at all, ever got a call on the issue again. Also, having implimented it have never gotten a call saying their master had mysteriously rebooted. The odds of them actually witnessing the reboot are pretty slim if you think about it. Even if the system was doing something at the time, there was no interruption of functionality since back then AV switching usually lived on another box.

While I do have masters out there that literally go years between reboots, I kinda think an occasional reboot is probably a good idea really.