Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Cheap Lighting?

Anyone have a favorite for "cheap lighting"? We have the need for a simple 1-6 lighting circuit solution for residential. Basically something to control lights in a small theater with the R4 remote without having to invest in Lutron or Vantage.

I am looking at UPB or Insteon. Anyone worked with these and have a favorite? Including favorite brand and where to get them.

Thanks,

Curt

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It's still Lutron but RadioRA w/ the RS232 interface works nice. UPB are less expensive and you can communicate to them with the PIM module (comm interface). Some one was working with the communication protocol recently and may be of help. Of the choice between Insteon and UPB I would lean towards UPB though I've never used either. I guess being an Electrical Contractor and working with X-10 all those years makes me favor UPB, although UPB's are by specs far superior.
  • We typically deal Vantage but that is tough when someone just wants one or two lights in their theater and they see a Lutron Spacer costs like $50 with an IR Remote. I wish the R4 could do IR plus the Zigbee as I hate the thought of an IR blaster on a light dimmer!

I think I found the thread on UPB, looks like the API isn't much fun, espically for trying to do something this simple!

Can't wait for AMX to release some Zigbee dimmers... hint hint...

Curt
  • TrikinCurt wrote:
    We typically deal Vantage but that is tough when someone just wants one or two lights in their theater and they see a Lutron Spacer costs like $50 with an IR Remote. I wish the R4 could do IR plus the Zigbee as I hate the thought of an IR blaster on a light dimmer!

I think I found the thread on UPB, looks like the API isn't much fun, espically for trying to do something this simple!

Can't wait for AMX to release some Zigbee dimmers... hint hint...

Curt

I'm about to start a project that has some UPB controls. I'll try to post more as I learn about them. Oh, and our entry level platform is that smaller company that has lots of zigbee dimmers and switches ... and they, quite simply, rock.

Dan
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I've done a lot with UPB over the last year. It is very solid system, much more flexible, and a heck of a lot cheaper than what else is out there.

The communication protocol and overall method of operation takes some time to digest, but once you understand it, it's a very easy system to deal with.

Gary Spaniola has developed a pretty intense module for UPB. I haven't taken it to his level, but have working commands and responses for most necessary UPB functions.
  • iLight have a product called Zen that controls up to 6 circuits, I think that this can be interfaced with the AMX controller by RS232, certainly the Zens big brother can as I have done this,

The Zen should retail at around ?1000, also the switch plates look quite nice,

http://www.ilight.co.uk/index.shtml
  • Thanks for your insight, i would call ask electrician about the ilight to control the 6 circuits.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

Note that the insight above expired more than 10 years ago. iLight is now part of Eaton, who might have some solutions you like in any case.