Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Web Cam

Looking for something that I can stream video with my new 1200 vg panel.
Any ideas please

Comments

• KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Stream to a VG panel

Have a look at this:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=655&highlight=stream
    This appears to be very promising. I don't know if it will work for a live camera but it should allow streaming to a VG panel.
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Thanks I already saw that. Not quite what I need.
  • Web Cam Stream To VG Panel

Clingpeach,
    Currently with the VG panel you cannot stream to it with a webcam. The reason is that the VG panels only support MPEG2 transport streams using the RTP/RTSP protocol. I don't know of any web cams on the market which support streaming in that format. There are some real-time encoder boxes (Axis, Vbrick, Adtec have them, just to name a few) which will send MPEG2 but, unfortunately, they are not in transport stream format; most are in program stream format. AMX is implementing program stream and several additional "delivery" protocols for availability in a future firmware upgrade. In the interim, if you are interested in playing around with streaming there is a white paper available on the AMX web-site which gives you a step-by-step guide on how to get it working with a VG-series touch panel.
    Can you please direct me to a video source..ie web page that streams video that would be able to be displayed on the VG..Any ip address PLEASE
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    IP camera

You better use an IP camera (sometimes called as network camera; that is different from web camera since it does not require a PC).

It streams mpeg2/4 as well as mjpeg.
  • Streaming to VG panels

If you are interested in streaming video it would be wise to do a lot of research first. There are several different flavors of servers, many proprietary, and even more flavors of delivery protocols. Currently the VG-series panels support only MPEG2 transport streams delivered from a server using RTP/RTSP. Just make sure the IP camera you use supports this method. In the next release of Modero-VG firmware it will also support transport streams via UDP. In the future AMX will continue to add support for more and more protocols and streaming methods. In the meantime, there is a white paper on the AMX web-site which details the steps for creating streaming content and the steps for creating panel pages which support streaming. Someone has posted a program on the forum pages which acts as a video server and serves video to the panels. I have played with it and it works quite nicely. See the post at http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=655. The program is attached to that post.

Good luck.
    Thanks Ive read the white paper and have set up the stream page I will wait on purchasing the cam until more support becomes available. However all I want now is a valid IP address which will be compatible with the VG panel so that I can test if Ive set it up right.
  • Streaming Video

Most (if not all) streaming video content delivered via the Internet (which is what I think you are asking for when asking about a valid IP address) is not transport stream via RTP/RTSP. So, unfortunately, I can't just give you an IP address. However, if you follow the procedures for creating content outlined in the white paper and use the SimplerServer program posted by forum user Elijah you should be able to get streaming up and going pretty quick. I'll check with AMX about the possibilities of posting a small (~20MB) transport stream sample file which can be used to stream.