Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Dxlink output direct to projector

KenKen Posts: 19
edited October 2019 in NetLinx Studio

I have a DVX 2250 and a hdbaset projector, wired direct from output 3 of the DVX to the projector's hdbaset port.

How do I send serial commands through the dxlink connection to the projector for control?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sentry - DGX is not, but DXLink on DVX and newer products are HDBaseT compatible for direct connection.

• Huh. Well, that's news to me. Is it possible, then, to control the HDBaseT device attached to a DVX?

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

No, not through the HDBaseT connection. The control is coded in the communication from the DVX (Netlinx) and interpreted by the end box. No box, no control.

• Never done this myself, but DVX can send ethernet through the DXLink output (think it's off by default). That is meant to be used by a DXLink receiver, but maybe, depending on the receiving device, you could do IP control? There are projectors that combine the HDBaseT and Ethernet port. Just guessing here. That's the beauty of these new standards: too many variations in implementation...

• KenKen Posts: 19

Thanks for the info everyone. I suspected ethernet pass-through was my only option for control when not using a RX. But I wanted to make sureit was not possible to pass serial without the RX handling the breakout.

Sadly the projector we are interested in controlling has a hdbaset port that toggles between LAN and hdbaset and can't handle IP comms in hdbaset mode.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

The odds of a projector understanding native AMX commands to an AMX address emulating a DVX endpoint box are zero in any case. You'll need another wire for serial, or you need an AMX box. No third thing is likely.

• @John Nagy said:
    The odds of a projector understanding native AMX commands to an AMX address emulating a DVX endpoint box are zero in any case. You'll need another wire for serial, or you need an AMX box. No third thing is likely.

No need for AMX commands. If ethernet pass-through would work, you would just use an IP driver, just as you would when using a seperate ethernet connection.
    It's just that with those HDBaseT 'compatible' devices, you never know what you're gonna get. Mostly video en 2 channel audio work, but beyond that it's just trying. The standard has evolved rather quickly and often it is not clear what is supported by either endpoint.

• So "HARMAN_Chris" to clarify the video signal sent by the Enova 2150HD can I go directly to an HDBaseT projector to decode or do I need an AMX decoder? You stated new controllers... is the DVX 2150 new enough? If so this is great news for me.

Also the DM input on the DVX line, will it decode HD BaseT from a third party HD BaseT converters as an input?

@HARMAN_Chris said:
    Sentry - DGX is not, but DXLink on DVX and newer products are HDBaseT compatible for direct connection.

• The DVX product line, to my knowledge, has always been HDBaseT compliant and will work directly into another HDBaseT video end point. Understand that you lose some capability surrounding serial/IR/network -- but video should have no issues.

• Have you checked the projector settings? the one time i've done this so far you had to point the RS-232 section at the HDBaseT input in order to control it. also, i had to turn emulation(D3500) on at the projector (panasonic EZ-580)

it makes for a nice, clean installation, only 2 wires coming down to the projector.