Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Should I update the firmware

Hi all,

Simple question - subject says it all really.
Basically, if the master controller is working fine, but there is a newer firmware update, should I do the update?
I've always believed in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Background - I have two NI4100 controllers, one at a client's site, and another at home. Both are working fine and doing what they need to do. Both are on firmware version 3.60.453, but I have noticed (and downloaded) version 4.1.419.
(I say the one at home is working OK - I have an issue with an EXB dropping off the list of online devices...but I believe this is covered in another post on here).

Cheers,

Gerald.

Comments

• It depends, I guess. version 4 firmware mainly added extra stuff. Version 3.60.453 (latest v3 release I think) is very stable. I've had lot's of clients who I never upgraded beyond that, because there was no need.

One exception I noticed that some AMX supplied modules seem to depend on v4 firmware, at least some, but maybe all .XDD do. I don't use those, but noticed while testing a driver.

So, if you don't need any of the extra functionality and have no problems, I would not update.

These NI controllers could easily be 10+ years old, often on for 24/7, so by this time hardware should also be considered when problems occur

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    edited July 2021

I think if you have no issues with the current system, leave it be. V4 firmware had some effect on various little things, and enabled things you clearly aren't using. Odds are greater (slim, but greater) that you'd have to make some software adjustments for the new firmware than they are that you'd gain -anything- on your existing projects. If you make significant changes in the future, it will be worth your time to review the release notes of the newer firmware to see if there's something you care about. Although if you make significant changes, consider the newer Netlinx versions.... SO much faster, so much more RAM, and lots of things to use. Although potentially more things to need to revise in your code.

I feel otherwise for panel and other hardware... where improvements are frequently about connectivity, recovery, reliability, compatibility, and can usually be worthwhile even if your system is running well.

• I had an NI700 ( v3.60.453 ) running a very bad written module for VRV system which was keeping busy one of the RS232 ports for 24/7 ( Tx/Rx permanently on ).
    The master cpu usage was about 99%.
    I have done the update on v4 and cpu now is at about 2-3% with the same module loaded !!!
    I think it is much better a master to run on 3% than 99%.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    edited July 2021

Note that the "cpu usage" metric in older firmware was always reporting 99% no matter what code was running, as the MAIN loop goes as fast as it can at all times. The newer firmware calculates and reports something more useful. You likely are getting the same code performance.