Home AMX User Forum Scripting Languages

Muse and Varia (G5 Persona) Best Practice?

In NetLinx there is the concept of virtual devices that (for the most part) can bring a touch panel back to a similar state if the TP reboots for any reason when the controller does not reboot. With MUSE obviously that functionality is not there (correct?) so how are programmers handling this, If you handle it at all?

The Muse program examples on the AMX GitHub don't seem to really handle this at all. My initial idea would be to keep track of active page, levels, input selected, etc., then put a callback on dvTP.online() to rebuild the TP to a given state. I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas or suggestions on how to approach this.

Comments

• With ssh you can view the syntax and examples pg. 50 in Programming Guide Version 1.2:
    doc:list
    doc:show serviceName
    In your case use doc:show netlinxClient
    Here is a short code snippet for python, tested with MST-1001(G4) and MT-1002(G5) and VARIA-SL50(G5):
    def TPOnlineEvent(event):
    print(“ONLINE: AMX-10001”)

def TPOfflineEvent(event):
    print(“OFFLINE: AMX-10001”)

dvTP = context.devices.get(“AMX-10001”)
    dvTP.online(TPOnlineEvent)
    dvTP.offline(TPOfflineEvent)

I hope this helps you.

• RombusRombus Posts: 4

I appreciate the response @swiss_chris! I demoed it today and it seems like the best way to handle it. One question: On your Varia-SL50, are you seeing the dvTP.online() event triggered twice when the panel finally boots? I have a Varia-100 and I'm getting two log messages and 2 notifications about the device coming online from the Muse VSCode extension. Trying to figure out if its a bug or just expected behavior I need to account for

• I was able to reproduce your error. @Rombus
    Please configure the touch panel to “Listen” and configure the device on the Muse controller with the corresponding IP address of your Varia. Then it should work.
    When you make the connection from the touch panel to the controller, two online events are executed.

Could someone from AMX show a detailed example of controlling a Varia touch panel via the HControl Protocol?

• Is this double online message occuring also with the new Muse firmware 1.2.65?
    As the new firmware has now 2 different NetLinx/ICSP connection modes (listen and discover), if your panel connection was taken over to the new fw, you may remove the panel first, and then reconnect it, for proper online handling.

Afaik Hcontrol on the Varias for now is just to handle configuration things (for Manager Software).
    https://www.amx.com/de/site_elements/amx-hcontrol-protocol-varia-touch-panels
    I gave a try some while ago to listen on Hcontrol IP port 4197 to any messages from the panel in G5 mode. But when doing anything on the panel, I didn't get any messages that looked related to the G5 app functions.
    So I'm pretty sure the G5 app still uses the ICSP protocol on port 1319/1320

• @Marc Scheibein said:
    Is this double online message occuring also with the new Muse firmware 1.2.65?
    As the new firmware has now 2 different NetLinx/ICSP connection modes (listen and discover), if your panel connection was taken over to the new fw, you may remove the panel first, and then reconnect it, for proper online handling.

Yes, I have tested with Muse firmware 1.2.65 and Varia 1.11.42.
    The double online message appears as soon as you set the connection from the touch panel to the controller (by URL) in the settings of the touch panel.
    If you add the device to the Muse Controller via Devices with the “com.amx.thing.icsp” driver, there is no double message.

@Marc Scheibein
    I would say that the driver “com.amx.thing.netlinx” is only for Netlinx controllers and not for touchpanels.
    Or what did you mean by listen and discover?

• @swiss_chris
    my mistake, sorry. Got it mixed up with the Hcontrol instancing.

Will check this double online issue when I'm back in the office and do a TechSupport case.