Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Can G3 WebControl be used in Macintosh?

Hi All!

Being rather new to AMX so would like to impose some question of which some experts here may be able to assist.

Can AMX G3 Webcontrol and G4 Webcontrol be used in a Macintosh computer? If yes is anything to be done in order to achieve that? If no how is there anything to work around it?

Thank in advance for the assistance!

Comments

• travtrav Posts: 188
    I've used it on mac's, as long as you have the right version of Java installed it works fine. Some times there seem to be problems using the latest versions of JRE, other times I've had the 'bleeding edge' versions work fine. So for me personally the juries out on which is the 'best version' to use, but over all... YES it works.

-Trav
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    trav wrote:
    I've used it on mac's, as long as you have the right version of Java installed it works fine. Some times there seem to be problems using the latest versions of JRE, other times I've had the 'bleeding edge' versions work fine. So for me personally the juries out on which is the 'best version' to use, but over all... YES it works.

-Trav
    The Java and JRE version issues are platform independent - Windows has those troubles too :).
  • trav wrote:

-Trav

Thanks Trav!

So how do you rate the performance and stability of running G3 webcontrol in contrast of windows platform?
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    The Java and JRE version issues are platform independent - Windows has those troubles too :).

Hi DHawthorne!

So in your opinion, which version of JRE is the best for our G3 webcontrol?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    liviolow wrote:
    Hi DHawthorne!

So in your opinion, which version of JRE is the best for our G3 webcontrol?

I haven't tried it recently, and I know that recent Windows patches have broken WebControl. I'm also pretty sure I have upgraded my JRE since my last working attempt, so I don't feel confident making a recommendation. Perhaps AMX has a "preferred" list on the main site or in a tech note.
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    Also I think one of the recent firmware patches 'rebroke' webcontrol, a roll back worked, but I can't remember the firmware problems. As to performance.... well... it's a java applett.. Once it has loaded then it is ok, but sometimes there can be load issuse. That being said, we used it in an apllication with 50 webpanels connecting and under a load test, we connected all 50 at once, it seemed to perform fine.

-trav
  • trav wrote:
    Also I think one of the recent firmware patches 'rebroke' webcontrol, a roll back worked, but I can't remember the firmware problems. As to performance.... well... it's a java applett.. Once it has loaded then it is ok, but sometimes there can be load issuse. That being said, we used it in an apllication with 50 webpanels connecting and under a load test, we connected all 50 at once, it seemed to perform fine.

-trav

Ok. To side track a bit does it mean Linux with Java is able to use G3 Webcontrol?
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    I haven't tried it recently, and I know that recent Windows patches have broken WebControl. I'm also pretty sure I have upgraded my JRE since my last working attempt, so I don't feel confident making a recommendation. Perhaps AMX has a "preferred" list on the main site or in a tech note.

Yup have heard about the window patches broken webcontrol haha! Thanks DHawthorne!
  • I am running the very latest JRE - 1.5.0.09 - and it is just as good as earlier versions, so g3 browser panels are still a bit flaky but generally do work.
  • I am running the very latest JRE - 1.5.0.09 - and it is just as good as earlier versions, so g3 browser panels are still a bit flaky but generally do work.

Hi Roberts,

In that case I will try out the lastest version :-) Thanks!
  • trav wrote:

-Trav

Hi,

Now something has got me confused here, Someone from AMX actually emailed me saying G3 webcontrol does not work on a Mac and G4 will only work provided I use VNC.

So would ask you tried G3 or G4 on a mac rite? How come he said it won't work?

Got me a bit confused here.
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    G3 touch panel pages exported in webformat in a netlinx master and loaded from Safari or Firefox works fine on Mac (I use only mac computers here ;))
    G4 Webcontrol works fine also by using Chicken of the VNC for example or any VNC clients on Mac in general

Vinc
  • vincen wrote:
    G3 touch panel pages exported in webformat in a netlinx master and loaded from Safari or Firefox works fine on Mac (I use only mac computers here ;))
    G4 Webcontrol works fine also by using Chicken of the VNC for example or any VNC clients on Mac in general

Vinc?n

Hi Vincen!

Thanks for your information. Helps me alot! Thanks!
  • running AMX software on a Mac

anyone knows if I can install all the AMX software on a mac running windows or if there are any issues with it? I getting sick of all these laptops that don't seem to last very long
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    cyril.lim wrote:
    anyone knows if I can install all the AMX software on a mac running windows or if there are any issues with it? I getting sick of all these laptops that don't seem to last very long

For sure, just install Parallels software, install Windows in it and all AMX softwares and it works like a charm :) I work on AMX only that way since years without problems :D

Vinc