Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Mio-dms ?

I've finally got around to working with the new MIO-DMS and have some questions:

1, Master connection mode. Comes default as NDP (UDP) which requires a "friendly name" and says to set this up to bind with the master in the master's web server. Are they talking DUET master or regular, cuz I don't see any thing in my non duet master's web pages.

Besides NDP (UDP) there's also a choice for UDP. Why? Why UDP at all? This is a connectionless protocol where dropped packets are allowed and expected. Great for audio or video streams but not critical control data.

What's the preferred connection mode? I would think URL (TCP) like everything else but I couldn't get that to connect. It's connected and working now in that mode but I'm not sure why when it didn't connect the first 1/2 dozen attemps and I don't know what changed that should make a difference other than the obvious.

2. Bar Graphs/Levels? I don't see support, is there any like the older DMS pads?

3. It needs an IP Intercom built in to work with the "i" series TPs and the IP door phone that AMX should have some OEM brand for them!

Comments

• I'll comment on the connection issues.
    vining wrote:
    1, Master connection mode. Comes default as NDP (UDP) which requires a "friendly name" and says to set this up to bind with the master in the master's web server. Are they talking DUET master or regular, cuz I don't see any thing in my non duet master's web pages.
    NDP does require a Duet master.
    vining wrote:
    Besides NDP (UDP) there's also a choice for UDP. Why? Why UDP at all? This is a connectionless protocol where dropped packets are allowed and expected. Great for audio or video streams but not critical control data.
    UDP can allow for more devices to connect to a master using less resources on the master than TCP would. The ICSP protocol handles all the things required to make a reliable communiction over UDP.
    vining wrote:
    What's the preferred connection mode? I would think URL (TCP) like everything else but I couldn't get that to connect. It's connected and working now in that mode but I'm not sure why when it didn't connect the first 1/2 dozen attemps and I don't know what changed that should make a difference other than the obvious.
    There is no preferred mode other than what you prefer and works best for your system.

Chuck
  • No bargraph support either. I test both the Mio-DMS 8 button and Pinnacle and neither support bargraphs. I will miss the old DMS bargraphs. Your only choice is to display a volume var level on a text variable in the Mio-DMS.

Ricardo
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    RicardoSiqueira wrote:
    No bargraph support either. I test both the Mio-DMS 8 button and Pinnacle and neither support bargraphs. I will miss the old DMS bargraphs. Your only choice is to display a volume var level on a text variable in the Mio-DMS.

The odd thing is, the Keypad can do bar graphs but we're not able to access that capabilty. When ever you do file transfer they show bar graphs of file tranfer progress, so the capabilty is there.

cwpartridge wrote:
    UDP can allow for more devices to connect to a master using less resources on the master than TCP would. The ICSP protocol handles all the things required to make a reliable communiction over UDP.

What's engineering's thoughts on when UDP should be used? Is there a recipe where if your using x amount of TPs and if uder y amount of DMS pads use any connection mode but if over i amount of DMS pads use UDP? What's the preferred maximun of maintained TCP connections? There's got to be a reason for providing UDP and making it the default to optimize the master's system resources.

At what point should we be concerned about system resources as it pertains to the number of maintained TCP connections?
  • I agree, I see the bargraph during the file transfer. However, what we realy need is a vertical bargraph. It looks like that the designers/engineers of the new Mio-DMS didn't have much experience with the old DMS or decided to omit all the good features of the previous model, including the big bar button. I Like the Pinnacle better than the fixed 8 buttons. It is easier to navigate by touching the LCD than pushing the buttons. Also, the 2 Mio-DMS 8 buttons I tested had problems with the top button getting stucked. I wonder, how reliable the button overlay is.

Ricardo
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    RicardoSiqueira wrote:
    However, what we realy need is a vertical bargraph.

One would think that if you can do horizontal, vertical would be possible as well. Just a firmware programming modification.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    A built in HTML web server would be nice to have too.
  • vining wrote:
    What's engineering's thoughts on when UDP should be used? Is there a recipe where if your using x amount of TPs and if uder y amount of DMS pads use any connection mode but if over i amount of DMS pads use UDP? What's the preferred maximun of maintained TCP connections? There's got to be a reason for providing UDP and making it the default to optimize the master's system resources.

At what point should we be concerned about system resources as it pertains to the number of maintained TCP connections?
    I'd say the addition of UDP was more of a "future-proof" move rather than a "we can only handle X TCP connections so we better find an alternative".

There is no "limit" that is set to say "above this use UDP, below TCP is OK". I doubt there have been many instances where TCP loading was an issue that UDP would have fixed to this date.

The addition was made to look far into the future and was done hand in hand when NDP was developed, which uses UDP for discovery of masters and devices to they become less dependant on static IP addresses and URL entries.
  • A built in HTML web server would be nice to have too.
    With what functions and features?
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Just the ability to log onto the unit via the network to see where or what button/page the client is on or has selected. It may do it now but I've not been able to get it to work.