Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Size of Tandberg Configuration Data?

I need to capture the Tandberg 3000 MXP configuration data and store it on a Flash card to easily reload it from a Netlinx controller. I have to purge the Tandberg configuration after each video conference, and re-load it when they start up a new session.

Does anyone know how large the configuration file would be?

I'm new to the AV world, so I'm not familiar with the Tandberg at all.

]Thanks
ROO

Comments

• Options
    ROO wrote:
    I need to capture the Tandberg 3000 MXP configuration data

Does anyone know how large the configuration file would be?

That is an incredibly complex beast. Unless there is a silver bullet solution ["Tell me everything!"] you may have bitten off far more than you can chew. The manual(s) tell you what instructions to send but they don't tell you very thoroughly what feedback to expect so I think you would have to test every single variation of very setting that you want to preserve.

PM me if you want my module with all of its comments about what I've learned as a contribution to your research.
  • Options
    ROOROO Posts: 46
    Thanks Mark,

Tandberg tech-support told me methods to pull the all.prm file from the Tandberg using the Web access by pulling the file from Files/ system parameters. They also told me how to capture the configuration using HyperTerminal to display parameters (disparm) and save them to a file. Since I'm working from the documents and not the device it doesn't help much.

I'm lucky that the previous programmer has written some code to handle the Tandberg. We didn't cover it in the Programmer 1 & 2 classes I just finished. I still need to review what he did, but I have a starting point. :^) Any hints anyone has would be appreciated.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    When I've had Tandbergs, I've used the AMX supplied modules with adequate success. Note that there are at least two different styles of Tandberg units: those labeled MXP and those not so labeled. The available commands are not identical and I believe that the MXP has XML capability, which I don't understand and have never used.

I've only made a couple additions to what the modules do -- adding ability to change selfview and a TP refresh so that the status of the mic mute and volume of the tandberg are in sync either when a TP comes on line, a Tandberg comes on line, or a page with those functions is flipped up.

As for completely re-initializing the devices after a conference, I don't know why that needs to be done. I would guess that there is a limited amount of functionality that you provide on the touch panels and I would think that you could just reset anything that the users had the ability to modify. There's, no doubt, something I'm not considering.

The only item that has ever gotten hosed, as far as I know, on units I have worked on is the selfview functionality. The units where this occurred have the ability to drive two monitors at once and there is a configuration parameter for this. When the customer upgraded firmware on a couple of these units, that parameter got reset and selfview would not work -- the Tandberg was trying to send the SV video to a monitor that did not exist. I suppose I should modify the programming to avoid this, but all we actually did was tell the client to modify the Tandberg parameters and avoid a service call.
  • Options
    Thanks Harold & Mark,
    I'll look into the selfview functionality and syncing the TP with the Tandberg. Mark - what is PM?

It appears that most of the control we will be doing is determining the sequence of power-up or loss of a device of one kind or another during operation. I've been thinking about how to approach power-up sequences using timelines to try and avoid some of the issues. How does everyone else handle these types of control issues?

Regards
    ROO
  • Options
    In theory, you should be able to get the all.prm file from the codec via ftp and save it on the controller. I wonder if !-FTPSender would work?

The size of the all.prm file will vary depending on the number of directories. But I am guessing around 30k to 100k

Also curious as to why you would need to reload the whole configuration after a conference, I would guess only certain things would need to be done such as:

1) autoanswer
    2) Select a video input
    3) volume level

Regards,

Bryan
  • Options
    mikecmikec Posts: 14
    If you have AMX control, why not put the MXP codecs into Kiosk mode and add a passcode on to prevent config changes?

Kiosk mode severely limits what the users can do - they can make calls only from the directory, for example. The API should still allow full functionality from the AMX.

You can back up the MXP configs to any networked PC just in case they get changed somehow.
  • Options
    Reason for clearing and reloading Tandberg

It is a government requirement that we clear the Tandberg entirely after the call due to security.

Thanks for all your input.
    Randy Ott
    Colorado
  • Options
    Well bugger me...

FTPing that all.prm as previously suggested will do the trick for you. It also stores the directory - so file size is dependent pretty much on the size of the directory.

As a guide - all.prm with 21 local directory entries is 29k; if you had a central directory and nothing stored locally it would be a touch smaller.
  • Options
    mikec wrote:
    Well bugger me...

Sorry guys, he's an Aussie 8^)
  • Options
    Yup... there's a lot of it going round this time of year!
  • Options
    and with the initials ROO - I have always had an tie to the country . Someday I'll get down there myself! Just hope they don't think I'm a pest :^)

Randy O. Ott
    Colorado