Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Pretty Cool Device

Here's a link to a pretty cool device for remote management and automatic reboots. And this thing is only $295.00 US.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/EPCR2Large.html

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Perfect!! We've been talking about this forever at work, but just couldn't find anything. Nice find! I'm definately going to show this to my boss!
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've already spec'd it in two job quotes and for the price it can't be beat. That is, if it works as advertised.

If you google "web relays" you'll find some interesting stuff as well.
  • Options
    I am definitely going to use this whenever Dish Network STBs are involved...
  • Options
    Even to reboot Optimum Cable here on the East Coast whose boxes periodically lock up. I like the auto ping feature too that allows you to ping devices and if they don't respond then they get power cycled if that's your choice. RS 232 control, web control, put your Router on auto ping and control the rest via the web interface or give the customer control on reboots throught the TP. For $265.00 how can we not install these.
  • Options
    Net rebooting

Found a really good cheap device from synacess.com for remote management of ip devices to reboot power.
    Check it out.
  • Options
    setholle wrote:
    Found a really good cheap device from synacess.com for remote management of ip devices to reboot power.
    Check it out

working link www.synaccess-net.com/

These are nice too and a larger selection. Searching for Web Relays will find other cool stuff. I don't see anything about auto ping or remote power monitoring (which could act as a current sensor or AMX power ON status or if its connected at all) but some do have RS232. These are slightly more expensive.

Link posted at beginning on thread:
    http://www.digital-loggers.com/EPCR2.html
  • Options
    It's been a year since the last post - almost - so I was wondering, who's actually used either of these, and do they work as advertised? Is it a good $300 well spent?
  • Options
    Wondering too how these are working out. I'm currently considering the Baytech ones but I'm curious about these synaccess pieces and the DLI pieces. Anyone have any feedback on these IP based power controllers?

--John
  • Options
    We've been using the Digital Logic and there are a few draw backs to it.

Here's a post I made on another forum. Sorry - it's just gonna be a copy and paste - I'm lazy and need to get ready to leave for P3.

Okay folks, I just got two new products in. I got in the Digital Loggers Ethernet Power Controller II. So far, it's a pretty slick piece. Does everything that it says it can do. The only problem is, that you can't create a custom power up sequence. You can however, set up power delays, so you could in theory power up your modem first, wait 60 seconds, then power up your router. The problem though, is it goes in sequence (bank 1, bank 2, bank 3) in 60 (or whatever time you put in there) seconds intervals. I put in a request for th next firmware update that we could do custom power up sequences. We'll see how it goes.

The auto-ping is pretty slick. It has to establish a connection first (10 successful pings), and then it'll start monitoring it. You can set how many times it needs to NOT respond before it reboots; how many times it reboots it; the power up time for the devices (in seconds); set more than one power channel to power cycle.

Overall, if you need something to remotely manage device power, and you want it to ping stuff too - then this is the piece to get.

So there you have a it, a small little write up on it. Good luck!
  • Options
    I always spec them in systems now. I posted a module for the DLI (Digital Logger) here:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4080&highlight=Ethernet+power+controller
    You may have to tweak the parser to match the HTML the unit sends. They change slightly between firmware versions.

I generally plug in cable boxes, TP power supplies, Music servers, serial servers, the master's power supplies and anything else that occasionally requires a reboot. The auto ping and if no response cycle power feature is nice but so far most things that have locked up still responds to pings.

Being able to access the Power Controller's web interface to reboot the master has saved me a few times when I remotely program systems.

I'm also a big fan of MOXA multi port serial servers now. An 8 port server that can handle 8 RS232/RS485 devices is around $750.00 US and works extremely well and easy to set up. I even use them with AMX locked comm modules which are set up for a NI ports with no problems. I would prefer though if AMX would make a comprable serial expansion device that would allow me to keep these serial devices off the public network. Using 4 comm 2's to much money and I don't find them as reliable. I'm actually setting up a system that uses 2 8port MOXA's and 2 COMM-2's and the comm-2s sometimes would show up on the device tree as 5002 & 5003 and other times they wouldn't. Last week they just stopped working all together which may be due to the flaky ICSNET port on the master.
  • Options
    Wanted to chime in with my experience with the Synaccess boxes.

We've had several of them up and running for a few months now and they've been phenomenal. They add a huge degree of flexibility for us, plus they're able to monitor the network and the IP devices you have on the network like the Netlinx master, and have saved our butts on some crappy DirecTV gear several times already.

On an additional note, this is specific to Synaccess, the main guy over at Synaccess whose name is Shaun is awesome. He's extremely knowledgeable about their product, and has been willing to help out in many ways. On one of the boxes we received there was an indicator LED that we thought was burned out. Without any hesitation Shaun offered to overnight a replacement unit to us in Hawaii at his expense (which was not cheap). Fortunately after sitting for a while the LED came on so there was no need to ship a new one and we haven't had any issues since (it might have been turned off when we were testing the commands on it). He was also surprised that there was a problem with one of their units which I also thought was pretty cool -- it doesn't seem like they get many defective complaints. I appreciate someone who's willing to put the needs of the project ahead of all things like that and his attitude was incredibly customer oriented. Turns out they're also local to us which is another nice thing.

Control of the Synaccess device is very simple and can be done through IP telnet commands. You can also hit the built-in web based gui using any browser for added control. Again, just wanted to praise and endorse the product, the company, and the main guy there. We've been using the NP-1601D products.

--John
  • Options
    And incidentally, I noticed that the prices seem to be on sale. Might be a good time to buy one if you need one... and no, I'm not affiliated with them :).

--John
  • Options
    And one last thing while this is Synaccess thing is still in my mind... The RJ-45 port is located on the front of the unit on the NP-1601D and probably on the others as well. If you're using a patch panel this is good, but if this is in a rack or shelf mount without a patch panel, you'll have a wire running out to the front of the unit. Using a black LAN cable will probably help to hide it, just wanted to mention it so that no one complains I endorsed a product that ruined their aesthetics :).

--John
  • Options
    I saw this in a copy CEPro magazine that just arrived in the mail. It looks pretty cool but I haven't read up on it so I don't know what it can really do. Unfortunately you could buy 12 of the Digital Loggers for the same amount of money!

PS Audio

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/powerplay?cat=power
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    This product is very interesting and I am looking into it, but I am wondering if anyone is familiar with a product that will do ping monitoring and just send Emails if the device is down (syslog info would be interesting as well :) ).

On that note, I am wondering if I could just accomplish what I am looking for with an NI-700???

Jeff
  • Options
    The EPCII (Digital Loggers) does have an auto ping features that you can use to automatically power cylce one of it's outlets if you choose but I don't recall if it does email. It has 2 power cords so you can use 2 sepearate 15 amp circuit to power each of its 2 banks. Each bank has 4 individually controlled duplex receptacles that you can set up to auto ping and power cycle (email ?). Has a web interface so you can log in directly to reboot something and it can be controlled via IP HTTP on a touch panel to reboot what ever is connected (cable boxes, etc.). I think they're $295.00 so you can't really beat the price.

I just remembered I had a short cut on my PC to one that controls the office equipment and it doesn't appear to have any email capability that I could see. The way I look at it for $300.00 it worth it just to have the manual switches that are on the front of the unit in the front of the rack to turn stuff on and off. The ability to connect to it via the web or a touch panels to control power or auto ping and power cycle if no response after x amount of pings is just icing on the cake.

I think the module for it may still be posted on the forum but if it's not I could always dig it up.
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Spire Jeff,

Zabbix or Nagios, both are open-source GNU GPL products designed to do what you want: monitor network equipment and much more (SNMP mostly plus watchdog processes), alert by email, syslog, SMS whatever and take actions needed (reboot via UPS etc.) . Widely used in IT enterprise environments. Might be an overkill for home installations so discussed here out of the box solution seems to be OK for simple home environment. However, considering modern home network I do not see monitoring system to be the overkill nowadays...

If one has a UPS with managed outlets, usage of such matured monitoring software would cost the UPS and a Linux/Windows server box, both a UPS and a server box we always have in IT environment anyways.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    maxifox wrote: »
    If one has a UPS with managed outlets, usage of such matured monitoring software would cost the UPS and a Linux/Windows server box, both a UPS and a server box we always have in IT environment anyways.

Zabbix looks nice and I see that it supports proxy based monitoring, which is basically what I need. The problem is that I am trying to avoid putting a server that requires maintenance in at the job site. Are you aware of anyone selling a solid-state linux box dedicated to run a zabbix proxy client? I am looking for a set-it-and-forget-it type thing :)

Jeff
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    I had a few installations on Fedora stripped-down version (needed processes only). Run stable, I have not encountered any issues... The guys from Zabbix are saying about Ubuntu with MySQL MyISAM setup... I think the choice is what you are most familiar with (as in my case it is RedHat) - I do not expect high load for Zabbix with home installations, we are not talking about hundreds of nodes where type of the database engine becomes important performance wise...

In short, any Linux distribution that you are familiar with, limited set of processes, standard MySQL distribution is OK for home grade Zabbix proxy.
  • Options
    The Synaccess box has e-mail alerts, autoping, SNMP MIB capability, and SNMP Trap monitoring for logging. Also has POP3/SMTP capability and can respond to e-mails as well as send them. If you hook up a temperature probe, you can even monitor temperature with it. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.synaccess-net.com/downloadDoc/NPMan.pdf. The SNMP info starts on page 17.

--John